Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Serious 7D Kit"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly the sort of Rig I want!
    I want to ease myself into video making since I got my 7D last week. I've been doing some research on these rigs since they are essential to being able to shoot a decent well focused video. I'm betting he had a decently chunky fluid head sitting on his tripod too.

The gear thingy is indeed a follow focus, but is not motorised in this case. The square hole is to insert a "whip" which acts like a flexible extension cord so you can "pull focus" without bumping the lens and is more convenient when you're moving with the camera and can't keep your hand near the lens.

You NEED a system like this in order to be able to monitor what's in focus and keep tracking it consistently.

These rigs are very much customly set up accoding to personal preferences and shooting intent. Here are lots of "gear" shots of similar rigs
    http://www.zacutoimages.com/p2123372...bce1#h3f7abce1

This guy has a series called HDSLR 101 which is well worth watching if you starting from scratch
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NextWaveG
    I probably spend far too much time on FB
    http://www.facebook.com/spasmoid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is, fingers on the front are to rotate the lens hood to remove some glare.
    Cheers,
    Chris.

MY

Canon EOS 7D w grip | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580EX II speedlight | Cokin ND Grad system

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spasmoid View Post
    That's exactly the sort of Rig I want!
    I want to ease myself into video making since I got my 7D last week. I've been doing some research on these rigs since they are essential to being able to shoot a decent well focused video. I'm betting he had a decently chunky fluid head sitting on his tripod too.

The gear thingy is indeed a follow focus, but is not motorised in this case. The square hole is to insert a "whip" which acts like a flexible extension cord so you can "pull focus" without bumping the lens and is more convenient when you're moving with the camera and can't keep your hand near the lens.

You NEED a system like this in order to be able to monitor what's in focus and keep tracking it consistently.

These rigs are very much customly set up accoding to personal preferences and shooting intent. Here are lots of "gear" shots of similar rigs
    http://www.zacutoimages.com/p2123372...bce1#h3f7abce1

This guy has a series called HDSLR 101 which is well worth watching if you starting from scratch
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NextWaveG

A not so tight shot showing tripod head
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an interesting video shot with probably much teh same set up

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/03/28/...th-a-canon-7d/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very useful Art.
    Thanks.

My Fuji HS-10 takes video at up to 1000 FPS, but the quality at that speed is pretty poor, but it sure slows down the action.

Adobe Premiere Elements also has a Time Warp feature, and it works very well and simple to use, even allowing you to maintain the audio at normal pitch, but speeded up, of course.
    I don't know about you guys and gals, but I find doing video with my Canon 60D fascinating and a lot of fun.
    The quality that comes out of it is superb too, especially when you plug the camera into a good HD TV.
    Must get myself one of those viewers for the screen though.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do those viewers connect though?
    between tripod plate and camera?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing gear! I have always wanted to see what this video gear looked like all attached.Certainly very impressive!.A very clear and sharp
    image the OP has taken too.

My son has just started a Film and editing course,he will be using similar sorts of gear.I read here from a post that someone mentions
    60D cameras take great video.I think the 60D has a 'flip screen' (not sure) but if it does would certainly be useful for this type of use.

Thanks for posting this great set up.Cheers
    Canon 50D and 450D - Canon 10-22 F3.5-5.6, 17-55 F2.8 L, 70-200 F2.8 L, 400 prime F5.6 L, 60mm F2.8 macro, EX 430 Flash,and all sorts of other bits and pieces

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12