User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Does Lightroom Change original JPG/TIFF photos upon export?

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Lightroom Change original JPG/TIFF photos upon export?

Let me get this straight.

If you have edited photographs in TIFF/JPG format and then import then into Lightroom so you can later search for these photos by keywords - if you export them from Lightroom does the original file stay the same? That is - does the original file that LR links to does not get touched upon exporting?
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lightroom doesnt really 'edit' any photos. All edits you do are stored in the XMP sidecar file. LR leaves your files alone, nothing is changed about your original file at all.

If you right click any photo in lightroom and choose export to photoshop (etc) you should get a pop-up screen that asks, export original, export with LR edits. You just click which radio button you want and away you go.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Lightroom doesnt really 'edit' any photos. All edits you do are stored in the XMP sidecar file. LR leaves your files alone, nothing is changed about your original file at all.

If you right click any photo in lightroom and choose export to photoshop (etc) you should get a pop-up screen that asks, export original, export with LR edits. You just click which radio button you want and away you go.
    Thanks Rick. So you are saying that the export option, regardless of export settings, does not in anyway change the original linked files. So I take it, that it is always just exporting the original photo edits as a copy to a new location of your desire?
    Last edited by wideangle; 10-03-2011 at 2:01pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify things a little...

If you r-click Edit then you get the options Rick mentioned.

If you r-click Export (or choose Export from the Library view) you _will_ be creating a new, additional, independent copy of the original with the edits made in Lightroom baked into it.
    Cheers, Peter

Canon 50D | EF-S18-200 | Sunpac Auto 383 Super | Manfrotto 190/141RC + monopod | ND8 & CPL filters | Seagull rightangle viewer | Kenko extension tubes
    Wish list: Sigma 50 1.4, EF100 2.8L, EF70-200 2.8IIL, EF2xIII and something at the ultra-wide end this year. Oh yeah, I'll need a bigger bag also!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    Thanks Rick. So you are saying that the export option, regardless of export settings, does not in anyway change the original linked files. So I take it, that it is always just exporting the original photo edits as a copy to a new location of your desire?
    exactly. Lightroom does NOT alter any photo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats what I love about LR!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by wideangle; 10-03-2011 at 8:04pm.