User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17

Thread: Illegal Activity by members : Ramifications to Ausphotography

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Illegal Activity by members : Ramifications to Ausphotography

From time to time members have either posted images or had discussions that involve illegal activities.

These activities include:
    • Drug use (images of)
    • Trespass (eg. derelict sites)
    • Access to infrastructure such as Rail corridors without authority
    • Driving/motoring activities (eg. hanging out of a window to take a photo)
    • Breach of venue entry terms and conditions from sporting bodies such as Cricket Australia, NRL, AFL etc. in regard to publishing images
    • Any other illegal activity, whether misdemeanor, civil or criminal.

AusPhotography cannot be seen to be allowing, promoting or assisting these activities as there maybe consequences such as:
    • Take down notices (Specific posts, threads or the entire Ausphotography site is taken down completely)
    • Possible prosecution by Australian and other legal jurisdictions (we are hosted in the USA)
    • Legal demands requiring provision of member details to law enforcement agencies, to facilitate prosecution of specific members of the site.

As AP is not a club and does not charge membership fees, the site does not hold, or need to hold public liability insurance for members, or others. Members are entirely responsible for their own safety, and the safety of others during AP member meets.

Whilst these actions are quite unlikely, AusPhotography must protect itself (Rick and the team); as a result any and all such posts will be removed from the site. Please do NOT use the Personal Message system to organise such events as PMs are stored in the database.

We do understand the need for creative outlet and if you are seeking to enter property, restricted areas, venues etc, seek permission first regarding both access and photography (preferably in writting)

Be safe!
    Last edited by ricktas; 09-03-2011 at 10:45pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An unintentional, or maybe not considered, effect of such a discussion has been the removal of a thread that had no part in such a meetup other than to have ONE teaser image posted in it by another member.
    Whilst this was my thread originally I understand that the correspondence directed at Ausphotography was worded in such a manner that forced the removal of my unrelated thread plus others.
    I feel more thought and consideration needs to be used by members when posting in other members threads.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Peter,

Members also have the option of reporting posts/threads. Please use the option if you feel you need to. Removing a single post that breaches a site rule not long after it is posted, is easier to do than wait until we get a complaint/demand from outside the site, demanding removal of entire threads etc, when removal of a single post would have sufficed, and the thread can continue its discussion.

The mods and I are not able to view everything that is posted on the site, yes we tend to browse the site, the same as members. So it could well be that we haven't noticed a particular post/thread. Reporting it, means that each moderator gets an email advising them that a post/thread has been reported, and a 'report' is automatically posted to the moderators area, so one of us will see it fairly quickly and be able to take any action needed.

The report icon appears on every post to the site and is the small white triangle with the exclaimation mark in it, it appears near the thanks button
    Last edited by ricktas; 10-03-2011 at 7:11am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it should be made clear what happens when we report a post, generally we don't want to wrongly report a post if we're not sure and it ends up easier to do nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    I think it should be made clear what happens when we report a post, generally we don't want to wrongly report a post if we're not sure and it ends up easier to do nothing.
    Not much, You click the button, A little box comes up , you put in what you think is the problem , Click OK and the report goes to the Mods, You will get an answer on the outcome
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    Basically we look at the report and investigate it, to see what action is needed, if any. Then we act. Often we (the mods and I) will discuss the issue before making a decision, if it is not a blatant rule breach. If you report a post it does not mean we will do anything, it just brings the post to our attention. Any action taken will be based on site rules. There are times when we have done nothing.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reports are anonymous in as much as they are only seen by mods.

You can report a post or a current competition entry (the same icon is used). (varies depending on skin)
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds pretty fair to me - I for one certainly don't want the Mods and Rick as 'owner' getting into strife over what we put up here.

I've always been concerned by people who post shots from 'down the drains', for instance - down drains is an extremely dangerous place to be - and probably illegal too.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    That sounds pretty fair to me - I for one certainly don't want the Mods and Rick as 'owner' getting into strife over what we put up here.

I've always been concerned by people who post shots from 'down the drains', for instance - down drains is an extremely dangerous place to be - and probably illegal too.
    Not in all instances, but I do get what you mean. The rivulet that runs under the centre of Hobart is accessible and there are people who run guided tours of it as well. Certainly though, some drains and drainage systems are off-limits
    Last edited by ricktas; 10-03-2011 at 1:46pm.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    From time to time members have either posted images or had discussions that involve illegal activities.

These activities include:
    • Drug use (images of)
    • Trespass (eg. derelict sites)
    • Access to infrastructure such as Rail corridors without authority
    • Driving/motoring activities (eg. hanging out of a window to take a photo)
    • Breach of venue entry terms and conditions from sporting bodies such as Cricket Australia, NRL, AFL etc. in regard to publishing images
    • Any other illegal activity, whether misdemeanor, civil or criminal.
    I'm curious.

How would the legality (or otherwise) of some of these things be determined?

An image clearly taken from a moving car where the camera is clearly outside the window may have been achieved with a rig or a simple job of someone holding a monopod out the window.

It would seemingly be quite difficult to police most of this stuff.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 10-03-2011 at 5:43pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    I'm curious.

How would the legality (or otherwise) of some of these things be determined?

An image clearly taken from a moving car where the camera is clearly outside the window may have been achieved with a rig or a simple job of someone holding a monopod out the window.

It would seemingly be quite difficult to police most of this stuff.
    We have questioned members via PM before and removed threads based on responses. At least if we do that, and someone says they used a rig for example, and then I am approached by relevant authorities etc, I have a record (the PM) of what I have been advised.

Certainly we cannot police everything, but as long as I can show I acted in good faith it should go a long way to ensuring the site is not dragged into any legal action. My concern here is for the site.
    Last edited by ricktas; 10-03-2011 at 7:01pm.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends!
    Some cases its obvious (recent discussion about trespass to get photo's).
    Other times we ask questions.
    We have had police contact Rick in relation to a post (a couple of years ago).
    We have had take down requests over sporting venue T&Cs.

Edit: What Rick said
    Last edited by Kym; 10-03-2011 at 6:59pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know sporting venues or events have been widely covered by this site.
    What may be uncertain is public areas like national parks, local sports events, amusement parks and tourist areas like, Port Albert, Sovereign Hill and Uluru.
    If possible can these areas be cleared up for all.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    I know sporting venues or events have been widely covered by this site.
    What may be uncertain is public areas like national parks, local sports events, amusement parks and tourist areas like, Port Albert, Sovereign Hill and Uluru.
    If possible can these areas be cleared up for all.
    No, cause it is not the responsibility of AP, myself or the moderators to find this out, it is up to any person taking photos in these locations to do the checking before they take them. Each state has its own conditions for entry to national parks for instance, so what applies in NSW may not be the case in Victoria. Event venues can change entry T&C, depending on what the event is. It would be impossible for the mods and myself to keep track of it for all locations, events etc across Australia..and beyond.
    Last edited by ricktas; 10-03-2011 at 9:14pm.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can't give definitive answers as the T&Cs/laws/regulations for each locale vary.
    It is incumbent on the photographer to all the approvals/clearances they need

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surfing Comps are cool. No restrictions at all !! They even put up special tents so your not standing in the sun all day !! And everybody loves to get there photo taken 1/3 of the crowd must have had a Camera , Quiksilver Pro at Snapper Rocks , Good on you Quiksilver

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just bumping this as the AFL, NRL season are upon us, reminding members to be aware of entry terms and conditions to major A grade sporting fixtures and that posting of photos from these onto AP often breaches the entry T&C.

If you are an accredited photographer for an event, please post as such in your thread, to ensure that we (the mods and I) do not remove your thread/post.