Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nifty Fifty Club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nifty Fifty Club

Its time to start hinting to Santa what I should get for Chistmas,

At work and AP I keep hearing about the nifty 50's. But before Santa comits I would love to hear why you folk love em so much. And would love to see a few shots showing their various uses.

Cheers Dan
    "Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares, Youre a mile away and have his shoes!!" Billy Conelly

Eos 550D Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX DC OS HSM, 55-250mm IS, Nifty 50 and training wheels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently only bought one of the nifty fifties and found it a great lens, the extra sharpness in the photos is noticeable. You do have to work harder to get the composition but it is worth it. The following is one from testing it out on doing night photos. Looks much better full size though.

Cheers
    Last edited by CraigPauli; 23-11-2010 at 11:00am. Reason: Change image size
    Cheers Craig
    life is like a video some moments are worth capturing other parts need deleting or editing

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The nifty fifty is cheap, compared to other lenses of f2.8 or larger. So as far as wide open apertures go, the f1.8 50mm is a good all round versatile lens. It isn't the sharpest lens on the block, nor is it the sturdiest constructed (don't try dropping one), but it can produce some truly excellent photos in the hands of a photographer who can give it a good work-out. The 50mm is not a bad addition to anyone's kit.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great little lens Dan, It's also great for doing Hi-Res Pano's , Did this one last year when I first got mine , This shot was taken using 13 images in Portrait and stitched in CS4 , The other shot is a 100% crop of some cars parked on the other side of the Creek under the bridge, BTW The Tiff file for this is 15,811 pixels by 3699 pixels and 167 mb
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by William; 23-11-2010 at 11:48am.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another way I use mine is for doing Macro work using a Hoya Close up screw on lens kit , Just another couple of ideas for the 50 mm 1.8 , Hope this info helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said, these are a great affordable lens with a useful focal length. I don't know about Canon, but on Nikon the 1.8 won't autofocus on some camera's, so check first if you are considering that option.

I am looking forward to seeing the competition entries on the 5th December, this should give us all a great idea of the lrens capabilities.

Di
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nifty fifty was the first lens I brought for my 450D, (I brought a kit with two other lenses). I think it is a great lens for what it is. I use mine mostly for portraits. The good photos it takes are very good.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its just a really handy length... of course the wide aperture means for a nice shallow DoF too. mine is an old manual lens, which one day i'll replace. I bought a 35mm/1.8 to replace it but while its a great lens it is really too short to fully replace the 50. I am thinking of a 85mm/1.8 instead of a 50mm now though... they rock!

2 shots with my 50mm. this one won a comp here (see link in signature)

this one is the 50mm with a pk3 extension tube attached. (love this shot)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my NF.....great little lens and gets you into the primes without too much spending!

A selection of mine....always at 1.4....

Day176 by australianminiadventure, on Flickr

Day216 by australianminiadventure, on Flickr

Day240 by australianminiadventure, on Flickr

Roo
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Heaps guys,

We have one left at work at the moment, I think Ill put it aside first thing in the morning and with the upcoming comp theres even more incentive,
    Some great examples, I particularly like Ving's, the light in the background really grabbed me

Thanks again Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great thread, was thinking of posting one like it myself!
    Yes I am thinking of getting one of these babies!
    I have seen some on Ebay for my sony a200 (I think they are Minolta ones?) Do you reckon its ok to buy from ebay? or where do you suggest is good to buy lenses from?
    Sorry to hijak your thread Dan
    "I press buttons and hope for the best!"
    Check out my Flickr page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every Canon owner should have one

Lloyd
    Canon 5D2+40D+L+Σ+S100
    Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
    Flickr

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle10 View Post
    Do you reckon its ok to buy from ebay? or where do you suggest is good to buy lenses from?
    Sorry to hijak your thread Dan
    I have bought quite alot thru ebay with no problems. just take all the usual precautions: good seller, buy new if you can, look at picture and ask seller questions... etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my nifty-fifty f/1.7 lens off an eBay seller for $78.00 (US), delivered, and use it as my default lens.

Danielle, and others, if you decide to go the dBay route, don't just jump in and overpay for the first 50mm prime lens(es) you see. Bide your time, set the maximum price you're willing to pay and stick to it, ask questions of the seller(s), request additional information from the seller(s), watch the shipping & handling charges, make sure the lens(es) you're going to bid on will fit on and work with your camera body without having to use a bunch of adapters, make sure that the lens is 'clean' (no mold or fungus should be growing inside the lens), etc. Remember, buyer beware!

You may want to check out local camera shops, pawn shops, or yard/garage sales in order to pick up a bargain priced nifty-fifty lens. You'll be able to see the lens(es) and try 'em before you buy 'em to make sure everything works and looks okay. Good luck!

Here are a couple photos of mine taken with my nifty-fifty lens:

Faux Caterpillar on a Stick

Bored at the Pump

Last edited by HayTay; 24-11-2010 at 11:11am. Reason: Added text
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PENTAX K-x black body, smc PENTAX DA 18-55mm and 55-300mm AL II lenses & smc PENTAX-A f/1.7 50mm Prime lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 100 odd dollars for a brand new one (at least on the Canikon side of things), rummaging through garage sales and ebay might not be an overly efficient use of time.

I love the compactness, and the light gathering ability - I often head out for the evening with the camera and this tiny lens in a small bag (particularly handy when traveling too)

Also very good as a "portrait" style lens for head and shoulders on a crop body camera:

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more examples I see the more I want one.
    Danielle I am probably biased as to where Id recomend to buy lenses from as I sell them at work and get them at cost price.
    I was actually going to put our last one aside today for myself, but my boss nabed it to use for our yearly Santa pics.

I dont know about Sony lenses but personaly the Canon 50mm 1.8 is cheap enough that I'd go for a new one over a possibly dodgey Ebay one.

Cheers Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably one of my favourite shots from this lens, I was sitting on my bed playing around with the 5d, nissin flash and 50 1.8, my son came in and laid his head on my camera bag and this is the end result.
    You can't go wrong for the money.

reece by dulvariprestige, on Flickr
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is on my camera most of the time my zoom are my legs.

I liked this about your photo.......To improve on it you could........Well done and keep posting

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roshoto/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For kids indoor basketball and volleyball, is it worth the extra $ for the canon f1.4?

Sorry to jumping on this with my question. I was thinking about getting a 50 for kids indoor sports.
    Last edited by Cheach; 26-11-2010 at 2:12am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely worth getting the 1.4 for that reason, that's why I bought the sigma 5Omm, for that and the sigma takes 77mm filters, seeing all my lenses are 77mm except for my 100-300 sigma which uses 82mm.
    Plus the build is definitely better, 1.4 can help when needed, I'd say IQ quality is better, but there's not that much in it for the extra money.
    Last edited by dulvariprestige; 26-11-2010 at 9:37am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast