User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Question about wedding photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about wedding photography

My cousin is getting married in two weeks "they have their own photographer" but I want to take some good photos too. can anyone shed some light. i mean like, can you tell me some settings what lens if need speedlight.
    its outdoor. i mean its garden wedding.
    ince you guys ask what i got.
    D90
    18-55 & 55-200 kit
    24-70mm 2.8
    85mm 1.8
    Sb-600

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooh, it's a bit of a tough one... especially given that it's an outdoor wedding. There are so many more variables to consider eg, will it be completely out in the sun or partially covered? will it be overcast or clear that day? will there be dappled light?
    Most of those questions won't even be able to be answered until the day of the wedding, so in that case you need to have all bases covered.
    As with any good photography, the use (or misuse) of light can either make or break a nicely composed image. I've made many a mistake in that regard!!!
    Personally, I'd take the speedlight, particularly if it's very sunny and you're struggling with really harsh shadows. I'd also be inclined to use the lenses with the widest aperture - that way the garden doesn't detract too much from your subject, and will more likely give you some lovely soft backdrops.

Also, out of courtesy, approach the paid photographer, just to let them know what you're doing, and make sure you're not imposing on their work.
    Please visit my website, flickr, or my facebook page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got a good range of lenses that will allow you to get good pictures in most conditions. As already mentioned, a Speedlite would be useful for fill-flash in backlit conditions, so it's probably a good idea to keep the SB-600 on the hot shoe, and turn it on as required.

There are obviously loads of shots you could take. Just by way of providing some suggestions on how you could use the kit you have to get some memorable images: your kit 18-55 could be useful for taking some wide "establishing shots" of the ceremony and guests. If you can get above the guests somehow, you should be able to shoot down with the wide end of your focal range, and get images of everyone arriving and waiting for the bride to arrive. You could also use the 85mm to get some great portraits of the nervous groom and groomsmen, and "details" such as decorations around the venue, using a narrow DOF/large aperture. If it's a sunny day, you might need an ND filter to allow you to open up your aperture for this kind of shot; otherwise, bring something with you so you can throw some shade onto subjects.

Since you aren't the "pro" photographer for the day, you'll need to keep out of their way a bit, and you shouldn't be intrusive during the ceremony. That's where the 55-200 might come in handy for you - to get shots of the ceremony without getting in the way. If you want to get most of the "critical" moments of the ceremony, you'll have to think carefully about where to locate yourself during it. As a guest, you don't want to be ducking and weaving through other guests, and since you're going to be relatively stationary, if you're badly situated to begin with, it will make things hard for you. Either get above people somewhere near the back with the 55-200, or get up the front with the 24-70.

If you get a chance to "pose" the bridal couple, and want to do an easy, classic wedding portrait, get them in full shade under a tree, and fill with a bounce reflector or your flash with your 24-70 on. Shoot level with, or at a low angle relative to, the couple. If you can, get someone to help hold a reflector high-ish (above their head) and bounce the light down onto the couple from not-too-far away. You'll get a mixture of ambient and directed light that will look good, without harsh shadows.

Just some ideas. Good luck with the shots!
    --=3 In Veritas Lux E=--
    Bodies: Canon EOS 5D Mk II, Canon EOS 550D
    Lenses: EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Strobist: 2 x Speedlite 580EXII, 4 x Yongnuo RF-603 Radio Tranceivers, Yongnuo ST-E2 IR Transmitter
    3 x Manfrotto Light Stands, 2 x Softboxes, 2 x Bounce Brollies
    Tripod: Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT, PH-50 Panhead