User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Laptop Upgrades?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laptop Upgrades?

My laptop, which is my only computer, is going to get 'upgraded' (2gig more RAM and Windose 7) and I was wondering if there is anything else I should be upgrading at the same time. At the moment I am thinking a new bigger HDD might be a good idea. It also tends to run a bit hotter then it used to, so is there some way of making it run cooler with bigger or more efficient fans (a good clean will probably be a good start).

Currently it has an Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2Ghz processor and 3GB RAM and is running Vista Home Premium. Graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS. The computer is about 2 years old and I will hopefully keep it for at least another 2 years.
    Canon 50D - Zuiko 28/2.8 50/1.8 100/2.8 - Tokina 11-16/2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Terry,

I sell laptops in a retail situation - if you cam to me, i could tell you to not worry about upgrading your HDD, but rather use a dedicated external HDD as an expansion, not a backup. That way you can use your laptops hard drive solely for programs and Operating System, and all your data is kept separate. The reason for this is if your computer is running hot it could cause negative effects to the Hard Drive. In regards to keeping it cool, instead of upgrading the fans (which you can do, although its harder in laptops than desktops) again you can use external cooling mats that will also help to keep your laptop cool. i will be honest though, the average life of a P.C is about 3 yrs before upgrading models. Even 2 yrs is a fairly long time, i mean now there are 2nd generation i5 processors, which should be about 3 times more efficient than what you currently use. in about a month there will be second generation i7 processors hitting the market again, which are diabolical when it comes to getting stuff done. By no means am i trying to tell you that your computers abilities and processors aren't good or wont do the job, because they certainly will, but i personally wouldnt invest too much money into internal components, i would try and get stuff that can be continued to be used once to you do choose to upgrade your whole computer.

regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the external hard drive. Regarding memory, I just upgraded from 2 to 4 Gb for US$43 so its really cheap now, but make sure your laptop can handle more memory and that you use a 64 bit operating system and software as if you use a 32 bit OS it will only recognize a little more than 3 gb.

There are 64 bits versions of Windows 7 but software is not that popular yet, research the ones you use.

regards
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good advice in the two replies above: external HDD and 64-bit OS; and yes: probably a good clean to start with.

Also, depending on how clogged with data/progs your present HDD is, move a lot of data off it and defragment it well. (Mine - desktop - had a noticeable speed-up when I did all this.)
    If you go 64-bit (and you really must fro the extra RAM) some older programs will be able to run in 32-bit mode, and some not. It might be time to ditch some of them, or consider a dual-boot setup.
    Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 09-03-2011 at 4:48pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I have the computer back now. Ended up getting the OS HDD upgraded to 500gb as it was always full since about 3mths after I got the computer. Had previously defragged and 'cleaned it up' and only gained a couple of gb's. Also added 2gb RAM (4 gb total) and had Windows 7 64bit installed. Will only be loading the programs I know I will be using and try and keep it clutter free from now on.
    Unfortunately I won't be able to afford a new system for a long while yet so will have to make do with what I have. When I do I will definately won't be going for another laptop, considering this one sits on a desk at home 90% of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What did you do with the old HDD?, with $10 you can buy an external enclosure for using it as an external hard drive...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Destroyed the old HDD, wasn't really big enough to be of any use.

So far I have noticed a big difference in performance, and it seams to be running a fair bit cooler as well. The only issues I have at the moment is the 'demo' programs that have been loaded (forgot to ask they leave them off) and my bluetooth mouse wouldn't connect so I now have one with a tail again.