User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz v/s Core i5 2.3 Ghz, worth the upgrade?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz v/s Core i5 2.3 Ghz, worth the upgrade?

Apple just launched and upgrade of the Mac Book Pro and I have the chance to bring one from the US for extra US$300 (the difference from selling mine here, yes, they are expensive here)...but I really don´t know if its a mayor upgrade.

Mine is a late 2008 Macbook with a Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz and the new one is a Core i5 2.3 Ghz, both have the same cache 3 Mb, in the detailed specs the i5 has same bigger numbers but I don´t know how they influence, here the comparison: http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=52224,35568
    Regarding graphic chipsets I have no idea...

My only "complain" now is that when I start editing a RAW file (from a D90 12-15 Mb) it takes 10 to 20 seconds react, I have only 2 GB of memory and plan to upgrade to the max 4 GB so my question would be if I will really feel the gain from the new Macbook (also with max 8 GB, 4 GB standard) or I keep waiting for a next upgrade...
    ...any thoughts welcomed, my mother is not a fan of being used as a courier when she travels
    Last edited by Patagonia; 05-03-2011 at 1:08pm.
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also considering the new macbook pro, glad to hear reviews from other users. thanks!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Till know this the only article I could find:
    http://lowendmac.com/musings/11mm/20...mbp-value.html
    Regarding the 13" (the ones I like to compare) it sais its almost 80% fater the the 2010 vewrsion but regarding graphics its slower than the 2010 version thus worst for gaming.

For our photo editing how much important is the video (graphics) performance, I would believe not so important as the the CPU and memory access performance...am I in the correct thinking?

The new one also has Firewire (mine doesen´t) and a new "Thunderbolt" port thats supose to be very fast...it replaces the Mini-DVI port so I guess its intended for video.

regards

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: upgraded to 4 GB´s (BHPhoto US$45 Crucial Memory)
    Laptop boots a little faster and handles better several applications together...but, editing time of RAW files stays the same (or almost the same) so its definitely a matter of more processing power.

regards