User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Photo Size and Quality help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Photo Size and Quality help

Hi, Am wondering what the best size to take photos, is. I have a Nikon D70s and my options are:
    3008X2000, 2240X1488 and 1504X1000. I also would like advice on which is better, NEF or Fine??

Thanks Mark

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on your experience level, in particular with editing. Using NEF gives you a RAW file and you will need to use some software that can deal with RAW files. JPG files are a good place to start, and learn processing etc, then move to NEF as your experience progresses. Have a look in the tutorials forum here on AP for some that deal with RAW files and processing them
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you set the camera to NEF, you don't have any options on pixel size. it assumes and sets the largest size.

The other sizes available are only for shooting in jpg mode.

for best quality shoot NEF.

For faster output, shoot jpg.

As NEF is raw format, use that and install a copy of ViewNX onto your PC(or Mac) If you use Linux, you're out of luck!
    If you shoot in NEF mode, in ViewNX you will see many NEF(raw) processing options on the RHS column (where all editing is done), that won't be enabled if you shoot in jpg mode.

For quick editing use the available in camera enhancements shown, or switch to the more flexible Picture Control options that are also available as an option.
    Once you start playing with the available tweaks, you would then save in a high quality format like tiff(or jpg if you prefer) for further editing in any other software if need be.

One note tho if you choose to use ViewNX2 and use in camera or Picture Control editing. Each of the tweaks have set levels of sharpening already enabled, so don't be tempted to use the sharpening slider at the top of the various enhancements list on the RHS. Never sharpen and then sharpen again.
    The best use of this sharpening slider is:
    When you convert to another format(like tiff or jpg) you would use 1 stage(of the 10 stage slider) for sharpening on the tiff or jpg after the tiff or jpg has been created.
    This slider produces variable results. if you resize your images downwards by a large amount then a bit more may be necessary. If you simply convert to another format at the same 3000x2000 pixel size, usually none is required, but on some images 1 step may be necessary.

Of course there are other raw converter programs available too, but if you like to see the NEF images on your PC, as they appear on the camera, then Nikon's software is the only way to see this.
    Note too: if you use jpg in camera, better free software is available to edit your jpgs or tiffs. (as I see it) the only advantage for using Nikon software is when you shoot in NEF(raw) format.

ViewNX2 can be downloaded from HERE.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark you have camera capable of taking 3008X2000 photos why would want to take smaller photos it would be like buying a v8 car and disconnecting 4 spark plugs, the only reason I can see for using a smaller /lower quality format is a throwback to when you only had small capacity memory cards and these were expensive. If it's got it, use it.
    Keith.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question is based upon another thread i have started in relation to resizing images. My problem is when i resize an image in PS, and then save it to a jpeg on my PC, the image is never as sharp as when it left PS. My question was therfore aimed to see whether my problem with sharpness after resizing was due to larger photos or just me making a mistake in the resizing pipeline.

Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded ViewNX2, and my gosh is it better than Nikon's Picture Project. Thanks so much for the link, Genious

Mark