User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Setting up Live View on my Notebook - problem seeing anything on monitor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up Live View on my Notebook - problem seeing anything on monitor

Hey Board Members

I wanna use live view on my Canon 5DM2 on my Dell Studio 1730 Notebook.

This PC comes with a TV card and I have connected the yellow/white/red cable to the correct inputs and have inserted the 3.5mm jack at the other end of the cable to the 5DM2 - turned on the camera, but can't figure out where and what on the pc to activate the view.

Does anyone have expertise in this - love it if you do cause I wanna use this facility to take some self portraits my psuedo studio - have lights but not a suitable backdrop yet - so I'm gonna move away from the wall and blow it out with my Alien Bees.

Thanks in advance to potential contributors.
    Cheers, Mal

crafthouse images - my Flickr

Canon EOS 5DM3, 7D and a modest collection of "L" goodies

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think the PC connection works like that?(I'm not a Canon user, so I don't know)

usually the live view connection (that is, the live feed from camera to PC and control over camera by PC) is made via the USB connection.

The video out port is generally used for viewing images back over a large screen(like a slide show).

So to be sure, are you trying to use the PC screen to view a the live images on the camera as you shoot and also control the camera, or simply to review the images once taken?

hopefully a more adept Canon user will come along and explain it all.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAl,
    The TV connection is only for image playback.

If you want to shoot tethered you will need to install EOS Utility from the disc that came with the camera and then connect via the USB. This works well as you also have control over the camera settings if you want
    Last edited by MarkChap; 03-03-2011 at 12:06am.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 5D11 and what Mark says is what works for me - just connect a USB cable and off you go.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have spent the night working this thing out - I finally plugged it into the TV which is too far from the shooting position to be able to see what i'm doing.

I want to use the monitor to check on focus and so forth - not to view my output.

I would install the canon software, but the disadvantage there is that you trigger from the PC rather than the camera. (I'm brainstorming here, maybe you can bypass the pc trigger by using the timer on the camera - what you reckon fellas?)

The tafe teacher I had last year used a monitor so his subjects could see, rather than wanting to look at the tiny image on the camera. That is where I got the idea from...

Thanks for all your input(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mal, you can either operate the controls from - A The Camera or B the computer

It is your choice.

There is NO other way to do it, the TV output does not work with live view or tethered shooting

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok then, Aus Photography gurus - I'll install the EOS software and report back.

Thanks Mark, Soulman and Arthur (hey read your post on the "cube". You're really into it, eh?)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, Soulman and Arthur and any interested souls - I'm sorted

Installed EOS software, connected camera and away I went.

Great thing is it has an option to time several shots at a given interval - so since I'm trying a self portrait, I can sit there pulling faces and poses etc while the camera does its thing! I'm stoked (but many of these timed shots fail - could be a writing delay thing)

Thanks again.
    Last edited by mal from cessnock; 04-03-2011 at 3:53pm. Reason: typo