User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused and angry Mac user.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So your business, or some form of income, depends on this software? And it wasn't worth the 2 sec Google to see if it will work on a completely different operating system?

(And I checked this by Googling: "Using Corel on Mac") BTW - this also mentions Bootcamp (dual boot) and Fusion (virtual Windows)...but to learn more about the requirements of those you should read up on them.

I also did a quick check on Corel's site, they released X5 apparently. The system req tab there doesn't mention Mac either so no luck for you there.

Apple will happily deal with Corel. Corel have likely decided that the investment in developing for Mac's (with their much smaller install base) doesn't provide a suitable return (times are tough and the two platforms are nothing alike).

And to wrap up...NIK provide 15 day trial software that you could download and check out yourself. It took me another 5 seconds to find this (I Googled "NIK demo").

I have a Windows Desktop PC and a Macbook Pro - am happy with both

(Oh and for any Photoshop CS user out there considering the switch - check Adobe's licensing as you may need to buy an "upgrade" or new license to move from PC to Mac, or vice-versa.....Lightroom was fine though...but check this yourself!!)

Good luck!

Geoff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    Problem is Mac doesn't support Corel, I am soooo frustrated, I have tried PSE9, sorry, hate it, it's like you are either a Ford or Holden person (you know what I mean).
    Adobe and Corel is more akin to Hyundai vs BMW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lanny - Have you considered running a version of Windows in the free Virtual-Box on your Mac?

Unlike Parallels or VMWare, it's free, and you don't need to reboot into Windows to use it.

There's a Mac setup version at:

- http://mac.appstorm.net/how-to/virtu...th-virtualbox/

Sun owns and maintains VBox now, and seems to do a pretty good job of it.

In Linux (PCLinuxOS) - on VBox I run a couple of versions of Windows, mostly used for compatibility functions and testing apps-etc, for friends with Windows, but also run to test or try-out other Distros of Linux, so on.

With Linux I just run VBox on a spare Desktop, and can work alternately in the O/S running in VBox, and on the other Desktops, attend to downloads, tasks and other activities running on the Linux Desktops.

With VBox you control the Host System resources you allocate to the Guest System when you set up the Virtual HDD (an easy click-through setup) - into which you'll install the new Guest System.

Take a look - perhaps it won't do exactly as you need (I don't know how multi Desktops, etc, work on Macs) - but you can run the full application as long as you like while trying it out, as it's free. When you do uninstall VBox, you also delete the Virtual HDDs you've had your Guest Systems in, so nothing is left behind, should you not want to keep it.

Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might look into that as well (VBox) - good tip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, Ill check VBox also...
    ...but for clarification, with Parallels desktop you do not need to re-boot also, you work from Mac OS and run windows applications...

regards
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12