Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused and angry Mac user.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confused and angry Mac user.

Hi all,

Big drama! Have been a PC man all my life.........until just recently. Bought my first iMac. Convinced from a lot of reports that this is a natural progression and also wanted to see if the grass was greener. Yes, should have done more research. Should of done a lot of things in the name of research. Now here is my gripe. From day dot I have always used Corel Paintshop Pro, love it, adore it, simple to use and I can control my images with ease and proud to say that I could do anything a PS person could do. Problem is Mac doesn't support Corel, I am soooo frustrated, I have tried PSE9, sorry, hate it, it's like you are either a Ford or Holden person (you know what I mean). So here is my million dollar question has anybody here used NIK Software. I purchased Aperture 3 when I bought my mac and NIK Software seems to blend in with Aperture 3 and it looks good from the videos I have watched. Is there any opinions on this software? Has anyone used it? Has anyone got it?
    Please help!!!!

Ta,

Lanny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Photography is a science but capturing an image is art.
    www.frangipaniphotography.com.au
    Blog
    lanny@frangipaniphotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's not answering your question but surely that's an issue for Corel, rather than the Mac?? Apple can't make people write their software!
    John
    www.pbase.com/jb53 www.flickr.com/photos/johnb53

CC always welcome (encouraged!)!!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can dual boot Macs. That is, you can decide whether to run OS X or Windows on the same machine. So install and run Windows and the Corel program will run nicely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have never tried NIK sofware however as mentioned previously, there are options if there is Windows only software that you want to run on Mac. As mentioned above you can dual boot, but the best option is probably something like VMWare Fusion, then you can run Windows (or Windows applications) from your Mac desktop. Running Windows apps this way will affect performance slightly but if you must run something that is Windows only then you can without leaving your mac desktop environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nik software is IMHO very good as an add on to pse or cs5 (works the same in either) but t is and add on, not a replacement

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo01 View Post
    ...... but the best option is probably something like VMWare Fusion, then you can run Windows (or Windows applications) from your Mac desktop. Running Windows apps this way will affect performance slightly but if you must run something that is Windows only then you can without leaving your mac desktop environment.
    While this is 'an option', it's not ideal and defeats the OP's purpose(of switching to Mac for some generally consented upon reason).
    Doing this comes at a cost(resources) and while resources are cheap(relatively!) this is still not as efficient as using an OS natively. And there's the added cost of acquiring a Windows license too!

Dual boot is a better option, but there's still the issue of the added cost of the Windows software.

Other alternative(to Paintshop Elements or CS5) is GIMP.

NIK also make some great add on filters and software. I only have access to their filters called Color Efex Pro3 as I only use CaptureNX(Nikon software), and they do a good job relative to what it is that they're supposed to do.
    I've never used any of their other software/add-ons tho.

BUT!! as the first reply stated. This is not a Apple/Mac issue and blame should not be placed on the Mac system for this. The blame is squarely on Corel for not catering to the requirements of a lot of users, as there are a lot of Mac users out there!!(to be honest I can't see why tho! )
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    While this is 'an option', it's not ideal and defeats the OP's purpose(of switching to Mac for some generally consented upon reason).
    Doing this comes at a cost(resources) and while resources are cheap(relatively!) this is still not as efficient as using an OS natively. And there's the added cost of acquiring a Windows license too!

Dual boot is a better option, but there's still the issue of the added cost of the Windows software.
    If you want to run Windows specific software on a Mac it's debatable whether dual boot or virtualisation is the best option depending on your requirements, personally I'll take the small performance hit (which isn't actually much these days) not to have to reboot each time I want to run what ever Windows software it is that I want to run (which you have to do when dual booting). I would say in most cases that running Windows applications in something like WMWare Fusion is probably a better option than dual booting for the reason of not having to reboot in to Windows (as you would when dual booting) and the performance reduction being very minimal (especially on today's PCs or laptops, there are a number of tests and benchmarks out there that show this).

As to the added cost issue I would assume that the OP already has purchased Paintshop Pro (and presumably has a license for Windows as well if they have used Windows before, although they may have had an OEM version) and so purchasing a virtualisation platform like VMWare Fusion may actually be cheaper than buying a new editing package such as NIK CaptureNX, Photoshop etc. There is also the learning curve, and personal preference factors, that the OP alluded to.

Having said all that I would say that running a native application (i.e. one that is available to run natively on a Mac such as CaptureNX or Photoshop) is probably the "best" option, however my point is that if the OP really wants to stick with Paintshop Pro then there are options out there to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    BUT!! as the first reply stated. This is not a Apple/Mac issue and blame should not be placed on the Mac system for this. The blame is squarely on Corel for not catering to the requirements of a lot of users, as there are a lot of Mac users out there!!(to be honest I can't see why tho! )
    Agree, the blame should be on Corel for not supporting the superior platform

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lanny I do sympathise with you.
    I switched from PCs after more than 20 years to a mac.
    What I did do though was spend a lot of time playing with software.
    My preferred victims now are PS8 and Lightroom. Both very good.
    I have been advised to get NIK software but not willing to try as yet as I have more work to do with the camera.
    I have tried dual boot and it sucks! You are either working in a Mac or a Windows environment. Originally I used Irfanview and swore by it but I had to change. This is the biggest change I have had to make with the Mac.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stevo01 is on the money I think. I would not consider dual booting the Mac unless you had no choice. VM Ware Fusion works quite well - as does Parallels I'm told, though I've never used it - and the performance hit is insignificant for anything but games.

If you're having trouble adjusting to PsE, then I don't quite understand why you would want to buy another, very expensive, package that you would have to learn. I am not familiar with the Corel app you're used to, but I do use the NIK plugins for Lightroom (which are the same as for Aperture) and I find them clunky, unintuitive and not at all well designed from a user perspective. The results I can get from them are definitely good, but using them is quite painful. As a consequence I use them far less than I might. Using them as Aperture plugins means that you will still have to use Aperture, which I understand has considerable image editing facilities of its own, just as Lightroom does. I have Photoshop CS3 but hardly ever use it now, as Lightroom provides for nearly all of my post processing needs.

Maybe you could consider learning & using Aperture for the time being and then reviewing that after you've had a chance to get your head around it, or just keep using Corel in a virtual machine if you don't think Aperture meets your needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Apple is to blame. If their computers don´t sell much or the OS is not attractive for other brands to use, then software makers are discouraged on making Mac usable software. The solution would be the Apple putted the proper incentive on software makers, if not done Apple´s fault again.

Said that, I´m a happy Mac user and I use Parallels Desktop (came with my Mac) to run a couple of software in Windows (basically Mapsource for Garmin) and I`m almost convinced that Windows Vista boots and runs faster when opened in the Mac than in my PC !!!. the other good part of Parallels Desktop is that it integrates to Mac OS so your windows applications works as if the were normal ones (you can put the Excel shortcut in the Mac OS desktop, double click and it will just open...)

regards
    Last edited by Patagonia; 02-03-2011 at 12:08pm.
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Thank you all so much for your informative input. I feel like Mac (Apple) really pick and choose who they will let into their domain in terms of software. If I knew more about apple, in after thought I would have just upgraded to a better PC. I am a sucker for being influenced by others that I hold a good deal of respect for and when I was told that I should change to Mac....I did. I am just angry with myself that I didn't do my homework a lot better and find out more of who apple deal with. I really thought that Apple was the artistic adventurer when it came to design and photographic needs? So my assumption was that Corel would of been up there being part of the apple software collection. I will be looking into all of the issues raised here and see what the viable option is. Bottom line I do a fair bit of photography and as all of you know paying clients don't care if you have a software problem they want a finished product that looks great!

Just for arguments sake? If I just wanted my Corel PSP X3 to run on my iMac how would this be possible. Can someone give me a link to maybe a website that has step by step instructions for window software for mac????

Ta,

Lanny

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sign up at the Apple support forum and ask your question - someone will help you there, they have a huge wealth of data. I use it all the time and I've used macs since the Lisa in the late 1970s / early 1980s.

But this IS a Corel problem, not a Mac problem.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Sign up at the Apple support forum and ask your question - someone will help you there, they have a huge wealth of data.
    Agreed. It is a great resource. I just did a Google search with the term "how to run windows on a mac" and it returns plenty of useful links, such as this one from an Australian Mac forum. What I suggested previously is their 2nd option.

But this IS a Corel problem, not a Mac problem.
    Indeed. Apple provide an excellent modern set of tools for developing applications that ships for free with every Mac. I don't know what else they could do to encourage people to write software for the platform really. It's Corel's issue. Nothing to do with Apple being picky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know with Parallels it will work ok...but you should try it first if it suits you before investing in a Windows OS and others...
    - download a trial version of Parallels Desktop and install it on the Mac.
    - Open PDesktop and follow the instructions to install windows (you will need to have a Windows CD)
    - Open Windows (it opens as any other program)
    - Put your Corel CD and launch the instalator, it should open in windows...
    regards

regards

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: The GIMP and 16 bit per channel support... http://www.gimp.org/docs/userfaq.html#16bit So until V3.0 16-bit native support is missing.
    This kills it for me in regard to raw images.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure Corel used to produce their apps for Macs. However the only time I've come across people using any of them (professionally) were backyard graphic designers. I haven't come across a professional studio or printer using Corel for sometime now.
    I'm sure there were plenty of people using it for personal work only, like yourself, and happy with it (especially its affordability).
    As per others above and their suggestions, there are other options around for what you want though, including Graphic Converter which has been around for ages as a poor man's PhotoShop. You may want to check it out. I use Lightroom and occassionaly NX2, depending on the finished product I'm looking for. The only other NIK software I've used is the SilverEfex and have been very happy with it's results.
    Others may dis the Mac platform for reasons like this, but to be honest, after a 15yr career of working within both environments, I've never had the amount of grief or clunky work flows as I have with Windoze. Without wanting to open that can of worms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have purchased Aperture 3 with your mac, this is very good software and will do the majority of your image enhancements etc. The NIK addons are also very good and will help you be even more creative.

There are very good video tutorials on the apple site, take the time to watch them and work through what you need to do in your workflow.
    A3 is as good as Lightroom (IMHO) for the 95% of work required on an image, the other 5% can be done in Photoshop if required.

Nikon D300, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200vr II f2.8, 18-200vr, Lensbaby, 50 f1.8, SB600, Tokina 12-24 f4, TC2.0e III, Kenko TC 1.4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulman View Post
    but I do use the NIK plugins for Lightroom (which are the same as for Aperture) and I find them clunky, unintuitive and not at all well designed from a user perspective. The results I can get from them are definitely good, but using them is quite painful.
    I have to disagree with Soulman. I use Nik plug ins for Aperture and find them very intuitive and easy to use. They produce wonderful results and it doesn't take long to get a handle on what you need to get the best out of it. The videos work well in giving you guidance and there are more available on YouTube if you need further help. As mentioned previously, Aperture and Nik will do 95% of the things that you need to do to an image you then need to decide whether to do some more learning with PS to be able to complete that other 5%.
    Vince

Space; The Final Frontier

C & C encouraged on all images

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the thread title seems to describe most mac users

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running Silver effect Pro and like it a lot, with one caveat. It can produce dreadful halos if you try and do too much with some of their control points to locally adjust exposure.
    I do any dodging and burning in LR3 and then export to Nik plugin for conversion and use the magic structure slider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast