Thread: Autofocus with ultrawide angles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you did is not a test, so neiher I nor anyone else can replicate it.

Why are you using 19-point mode when you posted the other day that it is rubbish? Have you got some kind of axe to grind? Use a mode that works for you! It's common sense.

Read post #2 again. If the image is sharp from 1m to infinity and you aim the focus point at infinity, the camera can't see any difference whether it sets the lens to 1m or infinity. Or beyond infinity.

I saw your other thread that admin closed one day ago on a similar topic. You seem to be running around doing bizarre things that you mistakenly think is testing your equipment, and asking everyone else to draw a proof from it.

Use settings that work MOST reliably with your camera equipment, not the opposite. Learn the BEST way to get the BEST results with your equipment. Then use the knowledge and expertise you have gathered to make some strong photos. That's the path I'm on and, I suspect, most other people here.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    What you did is not a test, so neiher I nor anyone else can replicate it.
    well i beg to differ, but last time I disagree'd with people i started world war 3. sigh.

It's not hard to replicate what i did.
    Go outside to a scene where there are no objects within 10 meters of range.
    Enable 19 point auto select.
    With the lens @ 10mm, point camera to said scene, and autofocus on the scene.
    Observe position on distance scale, and repeat multiple times to observe the behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    Why are you using 19-point mode when you posted the other day that it is rubbish? Have you got some kind of axe to grind? Use a mode that works for you! It's common sense.

Read post #2 again. If the image is sharp from 1m to infinity and you aim the focus point at infinity, the camera can't see any difference whether it sets the lens to 1m or infinity. Or beyond infinity.

I saw your other thread that admin closed one day ago on a similar topic. You seem to be running around doing bizarre things that you mistakenly think is testing your equipment, and asking everyone else to draw a proof from it.
    This thread was actually made before that one, it's been bumped up however... by you actually. So yes since I played around with the 19point mode for that more recent thread, I have learnt to avoid it completely. Out of the 40,000 odd photos on my computer (mostly sports in case you were wondering why so many), I cannot recall any of them where I used the "all points" mode for a serious photo, so what i learnt does not really affect me anyway, but still good information to have.

Good point about if the lens can give an image almost all in focus from 1m to infinity, then the camera will also not be able to see much of a difference when focusing.

Regarding by "bizzare" tests which you don't think are tests, well they are, I am just testing certain behaviour of my equipment to get a better understanding of it. Yes you should focus on what is the best way to get the best results, but it is also important to understand the cameras limitations.

Cheers