User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: 16 bit ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16 bit ???

I've just tried to import a photo into PSE ....... an error message came up along the lines of

This file contains 16 bit layers and PSE only supports 8 bit .......

Why has this happened ? Have I inadvertantly changed some setting on the camera to cause this ??

When flattened ..... the image looks shyte

The image is several months old and several thousand have been taken since ........ Why is it so ?

Any help will be appreciated
    Last edited by dkp; 28-02-2011 at 12:00pm. Reason: clarification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm

whats your camera? and what do you usually set it to??

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Clubmanmc,
    it's a canon 7D ........ and can ignorantly say that I have no idea of the bit settings on the camera : )
    I tend to shoot jpeg, but for a wee while was shooting RAW whilst doing course work. This stopped, however whilst we were traveling and I reverted to jpeg early on in the trip. Possibly this image was taken pre the revisiting of jpeg files

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using the RAW converter, you can change back to 8 bit........ down the bottom in the middle their is some small type click on it for other options

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame to have to take the 7D 14 bit data and downgrade it to 8 bit though.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I dont understand is why this image is 16 bit and there fore confusing for PSE ........ and all my other images are not.
    Why did it happen ? ......

I agree AGB ...... the 8 bit image is poor compared to the 16 bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 7D and have never had this issue.. i did use PSE8 for a little while...

not sure how it can really tell the difference to be honest, as the processed jpg, is only 8 bit as thats all that jpeg can be saved in

only a tiff or a PSD can be 16 (but i could be wrong)

M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep i was wrong...

you can save a file jpg and 16 bit..

ummm not sure, as if you shot it in camera it would be 8bit, as you shoot SRGB or Adobe RGB both 8 bit

:S

sorry

M

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    yep i was wrong...

you can save a file jpg and 16 bit..

ummm not sure, as if you shot it in camera it would be 8bit, as you shoot SRGB or Adobe RGB both 8 bit

:S

sorry

M
    Umm, no you can't. JPG is an 8 bit format, so if you have a 16 bit image (TIF PSD etc) and go 'file save for web' it is automatically converted down to 8 Bit to save in JPG format. If you have a 16 bit image and use File Save As, you will not have the format JPG available to select. You need to go Image>Mode>8Bit first, and then use file save as. The JPG format is only an 8 Bit format.

Back to the OP, My guess is that somewhere along the way you have saved a file in a different format (PSD, TIF) and that is the file you were trying to open. You can open a JPG (8bit), change the mode to 16 bit or 32 bit, and then save it again as a PSD etc. I reckon somewhere in the past you have done this, even accidentally, and now have the issue that you do. You should therefore have a copy of that same image in JPG format somewhere on your hard-drive as well, if you haven't accidentally deleted it, as the original should still be around. If it was one of your photos from your RAW attempts, then the RAW file will still exist and you can create a new JPG off that.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick

i was sure of what i said earlier, but went into CS5 and did the above, and was allowed to save it as a 16 bit file...

but i checked the file size (of both the saved 8bit jpg and the 16bit jpg) and they were exactly the same...

so i was confused, instead of standing by what i thought was right, i folded

cheers for correcting me !

M