User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: ERROR 01

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy ERROR 01

When we were at our last AP meetup my camera showed this error 01 all the time and I had a lot of trouble with my camera all day.

This error suggested the pins needed cleaning between the lens and the camera body.

It only seemed to be with the 24-105mm on my body.....Canon 40D

I tried the lens on Andrews body and it seemed fine.

I tried other lenses on my body and it seemed fine.

As soon as I popped the 105 on my body it would shoot off a few and stop with the error again.

We cleaned the terminal pins over and over.

We took "all" the batteries out along with the memory card.

Does this mean my wonderful lens is #@%$&...???

When it works, sometimes you can see the lens flicker inside the viewfinder and sometimes seem to slow a tad.

Please tell me this is fixable!
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you clean the lens contacts on the camera too? If it worked on Andrew's camera it seems strange that it plays up on yours and would indicate a camera problem over a lens problem (I think).
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I've cleaned everything.

Do I need to take this to Dr. Canon?

Is it fixable?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there still a Canon service centre in Brisbane where they could assess it and give you an estimate? That would be the first step.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't you say that you tried the lens on Andrew's body and it seemed fine? So perhaps it is not the lens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jules , Every thing is fixable , From what I hear, Canon moved out of Brissy and appointed "Andersons" as there official repairer , Think there on the Southside near you - Willy , PS: I'd take both Camera and lens in for a check, Hope it's not the lens as I have one as well , I have heard of a problem with the Contacts on a Wiring ribbon in the lens Something to do when you zoom and the solder contacts can come loose
    Last edited by William; 28-02-2011 at 12:50pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I've got a Nikon D90 Camera and when I first used my 18-200mm lens I got a similar message. I googled this error message and there was a tip to clean the pins (which you have done) and then it said to attach and remove the lens 10 times. I did this and have not have the error message since. Maybe google it for Canon and you might get a similar suggestion.
    Judy
    Nikon D90 with Nikon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 Nikon 50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm macro f2.8, Sigma 10-20mm f/4 - 5.6, SB-600, Manfrotto tripod and head.
    Software: Elements 10 and Aperture.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 41jas View Post
    When we were at our last AP meetup my camera showed this error 01 all the time and I had a lot of trouble with my camera all day.

This error suggested the pins needed cleaning between the lens and the camera body.

It only seemed to be with the 24-105mm on my body.....Canon 40D

I tried the lens on Andrews body and it seemed fine.

I tried other lenses on my body and it seemed fine.

As soon as I popped the 105 on my body it would shoot off a few and stop with the error again.

We cleaned the terminal pins over and over.

We took "all" the batteries out along with the memory card.

Does this mean my wonderful lens is #@%$&...???

When it works, sometimes you can see the lens flicker inside the viewfinder and sometimes seem to slow a tad.

Please tell me this is fixable!
    Having nothing better to do at the moment I have just done a search on this for you and this is what I found.
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon24-105/
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon24...7624859596530/
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon24...7625867719036/

Further reading suggests that it is either the IS or the diaphragm
    Last edited by agb; 28-02-2011 at 1:29pm.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey JA I had a similar problem with my 40D last year, which showed errpr 01 with my nifty fifty, it eventually started to do the same thing with my 17-85mm. When I checked I realised, after doing all the things I could find onthe net, that I had extended warranty on the 40D and 15-85 so I sent it away and they said there was a problem and fixed it. Oddly my nifty fifty no longer works.(I must get someone else to try it). I emailed Andersons early on in my investigations, and am still waiting for a reply , so it might be an idea to take it in if you can, their web site says they do over counter assessments if my memory is correct. Good luck
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good luck Jules...

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another suggestion is to check the firmware on your camera and see you got the latest version, I think the 50D's had error coming up and was fixed by updating their firmware.
    Just a suggestion
    The fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest with a sharp knife
    Canon 50D,
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, A very bright light, EF 50 f1.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by judybee View Post
    Hi,
    I've got a Nikon D90 Camera and when I first used my 18-200mm lens I got a similar message. I googled this error message and there was a tip to clean the pins (which you have done) and then it said to attach and remove the lens 10 times. I did this and have not have the error message since. Maybe google it for Canon and you might get a similar suggestion.
    Judy
    Done that to darling. Thanks.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agb....what great research. I've had a quick read and it's more common in the 24-105mm by the looks of it after a 2 years old.
    Looks like a visit to the repair guys and yeah I might see if I can find Andersons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they are in capalaba... pack your lunch!!

(just kidding its not that far)

M

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubmanmc View Post
    they are in capalaba... pack your lunch!!

(just kidding its not that far)

M
    I thought that's where they are. I'm 20 mins from there. I might see if I'm feeling ok to take a run over there tomorrow. I've been so sick today.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jules, bad news but I know a fella that had the same issue - a design fault with thelens apparently - ribbon wears away on the barrel and eventually fails. When I bought my 50D it came with an extra feature - dust on the sensor from day one. I purchased at Teds in the city so went back in just after XMAS and they told me that they do Canon service work at the shop, 3 days a week I think the sales girl said - not 100% sure if you had to purchase from Teds but I seem to remember she did say Canon warranty and repair by a certified tech that comes into the shop a few days each week. I was also told I get one free / warranty sensor clean in the first 12 months of purchase. Maybe worth giving them a call.

Hope this helps - be interested to hear the out come too.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite