Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is K5 worth the extra dollars + 1.03 firmware

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is K5 worth the extra dollars + 1.03 firmware

Folks,
    looking at getting some new kit. It means moving from Nikon (some old worn gear) to possibily Pentax. If I make the move is the K5 worth the extra dollars over the K7. It appears the K7 can be had for about half the price of a K5 ...... Is it that bad or is the K5 that good that it makes the decision obvious.

Any opinions very welcome.

regards
    Jarra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that the sensor (to name only one good reason) in the K5 (as well as the Kx) is better than that of the K7. Low ISO performance is really something.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] my flickr page

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a word YES! It is the best APS-C camera bar none, and better than many 35mm size.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...ensor-rankings The ONLY cameras (5) that are ranked higher are 35mm sensors or medium format (645D, D3x, D3s, Phase 1).
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    In a word YES! It is the best APS-C camera bar none, and better than many 35mm size.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cam...ensor-rankings The ONLY cameras (5) that are ranked higher are 35mm sensors or medium format (645D, D3x, D3s, Phase 1).
    wow, nice comparison page Kym. In the dynamic range comparison, the K-5 is placed top most. (My K-x is pretty high up too).
    Last edited by falke; 27-02-2011 at 10:29am. Reason: corrceted K-7 to K-5

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention features... BTW I own one.

• In body Shake reduction (SR == VR) - all lenses are stabilised
    • Weather sealing
    • 7fps
    • Built like a tank - Magnesium alloy body frame
    • Dual-axis leveller
    • Front and back dials, many assignable control buttons (less need for menu)
    • HD movies
    • And much more...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk5/
    We liked the older Pentax K-7 a lot, and our only significant criticism was its relatively poor high ISO performance. The new K-5 brings all the things that we liked about the K-7 - the compact, solid body, and generally well thought-out ergonomics, and excellent feature set - but adds substantially better image quality, in both still and movie modes, and a host of other improvements. In our opinion this makes it one of the best APS-C DSLRs currently on the market.

Image quality is now up there with the best of its competition, and all of the K-5's key systems are reliable and effective. Throw really nice ergonomics into the mixture and you have a compelling little camera that we have really enjoyed using.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by falke View Post
    wow, nice comparison page Kym. In the dynamic range comparison, the K-7 is placed top most. (My K-x is pretty high up too).
    Errr... K-5 is top - typo I assume

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Errr... K-5 is top - typo I assume
    Ok, of course, I'll get it right from now on.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting stuff - I've been looking at Pentax as a possible SLR system contender - and to my surprise the K5 is cheaper at Vanbar in Melbourne ($1599) than from any of the Asian ebay sellers (start at $1700+)!

What are their wide zooms like?
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks folks, appreciated.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Very interesting stuff - I've been looking at Pentax as a possible SLR system contender - and to my surprise the K5 is cheaper at Vanbar in Melbourne ($1599) than from any of the Asian ebay sellers (start at $1700+)!

What are their wide zooms like?
    I have a Sigma 10-20 which works well.

Here the Pentax lenses http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/ , the primes rock. The 12-24 is supposed to be very good.
    Last edited by Kym; 27-02-2011 at 6:44pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOVE my K5 but I upgraded from the K10 so I can't comment on the difference between it and the K7. I did briefly consider getting the K7 instead but decided against it I think because of the DR and burst speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sitting on the fence until the low light FF issue is resolved. Theres plenty of K5's in use in the UK, some frought with niggles, but no less than other marks. Overall, the K5 is starting to get Pentax where they
    should have been three years ago. It's worth the extra money.

Best regards

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking into this a bit over the last couple of days. Are the sensor staining and auto focus problems fixed? I'm not in any hurry to buy (no money at the moment, just sussing out what is available) so can afford to wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I so want a K-5 and would definately buy one if I had the cash at the moment. You won't be disappointed if you buy one. I have a friend who had the K7 and upgraded to the K5 and she says it is well worth it. The low light images she has taken are awesome and the video is great too. We took photo's at night with her K5 and did a few videos too and I must say I was amazed with how wonderful they turned out. Yep the K5 is worth the extra $$$ in my opinion

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    I've been looking into this a bit over the last couple of days. Are the sensor staining and auto focus problems fixed? I'm not in any hurry to buy (no money at the moment, just sussing out what is available) so can afford to wait.
    1. Sensor stain was very early batches and those were replaced under warranty (I know - I got a new one )

2. Lowlight (Tungsten light) AF is fine under the latest firmware (1.02), there is a AF assist light on the K-5; the K-5 also has a micro adjust for front/back focus, that can be set for multiple lenses as needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The justification I used to explain to the child bride why I needed to buy a K5 was its low light performance when chasing birds and I have not been disappointed. Personally, I haven't seen any of the issues that have been reported, that might be because most of my photography has been in daylight, but I haven't seen any issues on the odd occasions I have shot indoors in poor lighting conditions either.
    Adrian M[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I caved in yesterday when the lads at Camera house reduced the price to something I found acceptable. My CC took the hit, and I got body only so I dont have any WR lenses, just my 15/35/43 Ltds and a Tamron 70-300. I've barely had any chance to get out and play with it, the battery took forever to charge up, but will be out this evening and hope to get some low light shots, you know, night time in the city.

I'm going to have to get my stuff together because this purchase means I need to sell a Kr, a K200D, plus assorted point and shooters and bridge cameras. I just can NOT keep buying new cameras. (Wanders off to Cameramarket where she wonders if anything actually ever sells)
    Blog : PPG : Flickr
    PENTAX K-5 + various lenses; Olympus XZ-1; Fujifilm X100; Ricoh GRD3

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
    (Wanders off to Cameramarket where she wonders if anything actually ever sells)
    Yes it does sell, we are quite often amending the posts from "for sale" to "sold" on here for items for sale on camera market.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Yes it does sell, we are quite often amending the posts from "for sale" to "sold" on here for items for sale on camera market.
    Good to know. Just that I advertised one bridge camera there and have had nearly 200 looks (so I guess there's some degree of interest) but not a single enquiry. The item was not overpriced IMO (current model and at only about half RRP, and well under grey market) and yet...

I'll try my luck with the other stuff once I get some photographs taken. The K5 is a dream machine, but I now have a need to get more lenses (MUST. NOT. OVER. SPEND!!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got the K5 yesterday, still checking it out feels like a solid unit hope to take some pic. this weekend
    Last edited by robma47; 05-03-2011 at 3:27pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast