Thread: Camera/lens protection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera/lens protection

Hi, Im going to Singapore in September this year, and wondering do I have to take any precautions with my gear because of the humidity there.I've read so much here on humidity cause fungus growth in your lens. Any help would be appreciated, Jeff

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just get a heap of silica gel pack and scatter them around your camera bag. if it seems they are not doing their job, you can thrown them in a low heat oven for an hour or two to 'recharge' them
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not as bad as you think. I'm from Singapore when i stop over (sometimes more than a month), it does not stay in a dry box. 1 Great reason why. Airconditioning. Everywhere you go indoors is airconditioned. Hotels, shopping centers etc. The humidity in an airconditioned room is about 40% RH. So don't worry about it.

I was working in ChengDu for a few months and the humidity there is much worse than Singapore. Lens been in the rain and all as well. Everything was A-ok. Lenes don't grow fungus that easily.

Adding silica gel packs in a non-airtight environment is useless as the RH does not drop by much (tested). So unless you have one of those pelican cases or similar, don't bother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep my gear in a tupperware/decor type container, with a Hippo/Damp Rid thingy inside. Keeps the humdity low and as it is sealed, lasts for ages. Having lost some gear to humidty/fungus when we used to live in Cairns I don't want the same experience.

Cheers