User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Clearwipe Lens Cleaner from chemist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearwipe Lens Cleaner from chemist

Hi All, I was wondering if the above was suitable for camera lenses, I cant find much info on Google
    So I am leaving it up to you guys to help me.
    I cant seem to find any lens cleaning equipment in my home town that i trust and can be sure that it wont damage my lenses, Not so long ago I purchased a kit off ebay and when i received it I thought shit hot, It was a Nikon brand, but it turned out to be crap IMO, the lens tissue leaves heaps of fibbers which means more rubbing and in the end would lead to scratches.
    All they seem to stock here is lens pens
    All advice is much appreciated
    Canon 7d efs 15-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm. Nicon coolpix 5400

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy a rocket blower and a good quality microfibre cloth, blow off as much of the loose chunky stuff with the blower then breathe on the lens to add a little moisture and wipe gently with the microfibre cloth.

Works for me.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andrew.
    You would have the same problem as I do down your way no doubt beeing a small town/erea, So where would the best place to be to perchase a microfibre cloth?
    Cheers Dave..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Pipe View Post
    So where would the best place to be to perchase a microfibre cloth?
    Cheers Dave..
    I would try your local optometrist or even a chemist shop.
    Cheers, Peter

Canon 50D | EF-S18-200 | Sunpac Auto 383 Super | Manfrotto 190/141RC + monopod | ND8 & CPL filters | Seagull rightangle viewer | Kenko extension tubes
    Wish list: Sigma 50 1.4, EF100 2.8L, EF70-200 2.8IIL, EF2xIII and something at the ultra-wide end this year. Oh yeah, I'll need a bigger bag also!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good onya Pete. I never thought if them Thanks mate

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also handy to have is a pack of PecPads, some Eclipse fluid and a small spatula, all sold in a kit form to help with sensor cleaning. The kit is called Copperhill, and is sold from various places, one good source is Quality Camera(where I got mine a long time ago.. and still in use

So, once you have this kit to help you clean up your sensor on the odd occasion, you also have the best lens/filter cleaning kit I think available.

Sometimes grubby fingers and noses and lips may occasionally touch your glass elements(bloody annoying kids!!), and you need a bit more than water, breath and a microfibre cloth to get them clean again(with minimum effort that is). I use them sparingly on my filters or lenses, I doubt that Eclipse fluid will damage any lens glass, as is often stupidly reported.. I mena if it's supposedly safe for use on a sensor, how on earth is t not safe for use on a lens!

anyhow, these are only a few of the things I've used. I no longer use any 'lens tissue' as I find they are too rough.. when compared to PecPads and microfibre cloths that is.

Note, while using Eclipse fluid on a lens or filter sounds a bit extreme, I've found on a few occasions that my CPL fillters have had this light smearing of a greasy film on them, which is only seen in specific light conditions and when the filter is angled to a very narrow angle relative to the light source. These few CPL's that I have that (used) to do this were the cheaper Hoya brand CPLs, and I subsequently found out that they have a light smearing of a greasy compound around the rotating bezel(that turns the polarising glass). Why a filter needs grease is completely beyond my ability to reason.. it;s not like they spin at 3000 RPM, is it?... and I only found this out because in trying to clean this smearing off the glass one day, the filter came apart(the bezel came off the filter body and I got black greasy crap on my shirt and fingers. The only (safe) way to get this greasiness off the polarising glass was with Eclipse fluid, as every other 'normally approved' method only smeared the filter more.

These are just a few alternate observations I've made over the years..... but basically as Andrew said for 99.999% of your lens cleaning needs.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Also handy to have is a pack of PecPads, some Eclipse fluid and a small spatula, all sold in a kit form to help with sensor cleaning. The kit is called Copperhill, and is sold from various places, one good source is Quality Camera(where I got mine a long time ago.. and still in use

So, once you have this kit to help you clean up your sensor on the odd occasion, you also have the best lens/filter cleaning kit I think available.

Sometimes grubby fingers and noses and lips may occasionally touch your glass elements(bloody annoying kids!!), and you need a bit more than water, breath and a microfibre cloth to get them clean again(with minimum effort that is). I use them sparingly on my filters or lenses, I doubt that Eclipse fluid will damage any lens glass, as is often stupidly reported.. I mena if it's supposedly safe for use on a sensor, how on earth is t not safe for use on a lens!

anyhow, these are only a few of the things I've used. I no longer use any 'lens tissue' as I find they are too rough.. when compared to PecPads and microfibre cloths that is.

Note, while using Eclipse fluid on a lens or filter sounds a bit extreme, I've found on a few occasions that my CPL fillters have had this light smearing of a greasy film on them, which is only seen in specific light conditions and when the filter is angled to a very narrow angle relative to the light source. These few CPL's that I have that (used) to do this were the cheaper Hoya brand CPLs, and I subsequently found out that they have a light smearing of a greasy compound around the rotating bezel(that turns the polarising glass). Why a filter needs grease is completely beyond my ability to reason.. it;s not like they spin at 3000 RPM, is it?... and I only found this out because in trying to clean this smearing off the glass one day, the filter came apart(the bezel came off the filter body and I got black greasy crap on my shirt and fingers. The only (safe) way to get this greasiness off the polarising glass was with Eclipse fluid, as every other 'normally approved' method only smeared the filter more.

These are just a few alternate observations I've made over the years..... but basically as Andrew said for 99.999% of your lens cleaning needs.
    Tanks Arthur I will gets me some of them PecPads and solution. I agree about it being BS (Bull Shit) that you cant use the sensor cleaner on a lens Thank Mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks from me too - this is very useful information.
    Cheers, Mal

crafthouse images - my Flickr

Canon EOS 5DM3, 7D and a modest collection of "L" goodies