User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Help....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help....

Hi to everyone and thank you to the moderator for the welcome. It is nice to join a forum where clear instructions and help is offered to the novice.
    I mainly take photos of landscapes, animals, insects and of course plants and flowers for my main work. However, I have just been asked by friends in the music industry to take photos of a Rock tribute show coming up in Adelaide. The tribute is for recently and sadly deceased Gary Moore, several local musicians will be playing some of Gary's popular tunes and they would like a heap of photos taken of this event. Although I am looking forward to this I'm a bit nervous because I have never taken photos under these conditions (e.g., lighting etc) so I need some help and suggestions for what settings best suited for this. I am expecting: low light, crowds, stage lighting, fast moving acts i.e. drummers who's hands move rather fast, and probably several other situations that i have yet to think of.

Once again thankyou.

Brenton

Sorry for not adding my gear, new to the forum stuff. I have a Nikon D300s 18-200mm AF-S f3.5/ My other lens, Nikon AF 18-35mm f3.5-4.5D, sadly was dropped. I only have an old SB 50 flash. Last year i had a heap of gear stolen from my car, insurance only covered my camera. I know this isnt much to work with....

I only just realised i could edit to this... Im learning... :-)

I do have stage access to this show. If i had to purchase a lens for this what may be suited for this situation.
    Last edited by Brenton069; 22-02-2011 at 12:10pm.

Who me?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brenton,
    It might help members give specific advice if you can give some details of the equipment you have at your disposal, camera, brand, model and lenses , flash etc. add it to your sig or just post into this thread for this occasion
    Cheers David.

Canon 40D/EF-S 17-85 mm IS/Kenko Extenson Tubes/Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II (nifty fifty)
    Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 /Sigma 70-200/ Sigma 1.4 teleconverter/ some Conkin filters | Adobe Photoshop CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow

i was unaware of the fact that Gary Moore had passed away... very sad indeed he was very good and i just missed seeing him live at the thebarton theartre a LONG while ago...

to start with, in order to help you, i need to know what eq you have...

wether you have an extrenal flash? or you have some low light eq....

If i was shooting that sort of event, i would be using the following settings and probably taking about 1 in 10 good shots...

using my 7D (as the low light AF works very well)
    with the ISO up to about 3200 and using my 85mm F1.8 lens id shoot at about F2....
    and 1/50th of a sec

but id adjust depending on light and movement of the subject and other factors...

the other factors in some thing like this is how close you can get

other than that let us know what you have and we can suggest from there

M
    www.pbase.com/mcphotographics loooots of pictures!
    hmmm Eq list... 1D II, 5D II, 7D, 100-400 LIS F4.5-5.6, 70-200 F2.8L, 135 F2, 85 F1.8, 24-70 F2.8L, 16-35 F2.8L, 420EX, 580EX II x2 ST-E2 Cir polar filters and much much more all in a neat back pack that kills my back!

Adobe CS5
    Week 16 Sheep Winner
    If you have a question about car / action / sports photography or Canon Cameras PM me...

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for not adding my gear, new to the forum stuff. I have a Nikon D300s 18-200mm AF-S f3.5/ My other lens, Nikon AF 18-35mm f3.5-4.5D, sadly was dropped. I only have an old SB 50 flash. Last year i had a heap of gear stolen from my car, insurance only covered my camera. I know this isnt much to work with....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmm

maybe see if you can get your hands on a 50 F1.8 they are really cheap and would help in low light

M

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Club. *removed - members with under 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot promote commercial companies, please read the site rules * about to order.

Cheers
    Last edited by ricktas; 22-02-2011 at 8:14pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....im new...so shoot me for putting something in accidentally !!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenton069 View Post
    It is ok, this is how we edit posts here on AP. You will see the orange text where-ever a mod has edited something. Members here wanted us to be transparent in our moderation, so most of our edits will show in your posts.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenton069 View Post
    i have a 1DII 5DII and 7D which one do you want me to shoot yo0u with??

M