User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Music Festivals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Music Festivals

Has any one got media passes to the bigger music festivals like Big Day Out?
    Sent them an email to find out more about next years BDO but they really didn't give me too much detail.

This is the response I received.
    Media accreditation is reserved for working members of the media and there are a limited number of media tickets and photo passes available. The Big Day Out accommodates as many media requests as possible and all applicants must correctly complete the media accreditation request form in order to be considered.

Does any one know exactly what Media Accreditation they would be asking for? I am currently completing a Diploma in Photography. Would this be enough or would they want more.

Any one with experience, please help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'd want working members of the media as they state in their response, not photography students.

Media passes are for the media, they don't give out freebies to anyone who asks because it would be chaos. They want to know what they're going to get in return for letting you in.

Lots of magazines and websites will be able to apply for accreditation, they're probably the easiest way to get in. Some will want you to work for free, a few will pay (usually not much). But, there are a lot of people asking the same thing, and most of them will have worked with the publication before. As with most things, it's generally a case of start small and work your way up, you have to prove you can provide what people want before they'll let you on stage with Ginderman and the John Butler Trio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As above - Media accrediatation is for media - start at small festivals and events - get publlished and move on up the tree.
    With sport i work with the local free paper and get access i wouldn't otherwise - but a music event like the BDO you need to prove yourself. Ask yourself - what's in it for the organisers to give you a media pass - If you can't guarantee some great exposure then why would they help you ??
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pleas dont work for free
    Last edited by atky; 23-02-2011 at 8:29pm.
    Thanks Steve
    Winer of the sheep week 2 + 6
    www.atkimages.com.au "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," ROBERT CAPA"
    Tokina 16-28 f2.8 PRO FX,Sigma 500 4.5 Ex DG, Canon 5D Mii, Canon 7D, Canon 2x converter,Canon 70-200 2.8 L,
    Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon 580 ex 2 speed light
    And two canon kit Lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats missing ? You say that their response "didnt give too much detail". And there it is in black and white - "reserved for working media". Surely that explains the situation ?

I was a marketing manager (whose role included press and publicity responsibilities) for a major arts venue in the UK - specifically Glasgow's Tramway
    http://www.tramway.org/

While I dont want to discourage you, you need to understand that a media pass is given to a "working" member of the Media - the Press. So if you're not working for the press, then you're not going to get a pass. Freelancers can be considered, but you need a history, or track record, and can prove that you have real potential buyers of your work. So you might be best to approach this differently and go and get someone in the media to employ you to go to cover the event. Start ringing some editors, and here's the catch, you'll have to show them you have shots that can demonstrate that you are proficient and more than capable of covering a similar event. Being a student of photography simply isnt going to convince them.

And yes, some mags will possibly suggest that they might use your work (without fees) if you can supply them - thats not going to cut it either. Although you havent said it, your diploma of photography goal is I assume a career in professional photography ?

So please dont fall into the trap of offering your work for free. Quite honestly anyone can produce a picture and get it published these days. With the attitude of picture editors (anyone recognise that they're almost non existent now), an image isnt always chosen on composition, visual impact, and professional finish, but more because it didnt cost anything and fills a large gap in their media. So IMHO when someone is happy to be published, I dont want to be a spoilsport, but to me its slightly hollow if they didnt get paid for it. Its clear, that anyone can do that. And if you do that, then you're simply going to have no profession left to use your diploma of photography.

I recognise that you didnt ask that, and havent suggested that, so please dont take any of that personally; its more of a reminder to all who read this.
    Last edited by Longshots; 24-02-2011 at 7:45am.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another thing to consider here is that if you went along as just a regular ticket holder, depending on the T&C of entry, you often cannot do a lot with your photos. Even displaying them on a forum could breach the conditions of entry, selling them would be a no go zone as well, so be careful with what you do, if you decide to just go along as a ticket holder and take photos.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So IMHO when someone is happy to be published, I dont want to be a spoilsport, but to me its slightly hollow if they didnt get paid for it. Its clear, that anyone can do that. And if you do that, then you're simply going to have no profession left to use your diploma of photography.

Whilst i agree in principle with you William - the provision of photos and getting published can lead to other work - if you have the profile. I provide photos to the local "free" weekly photo news paper and get a small add in return which promotes my name, what i do etc. (could say its paid then)- I get more hits on my website (monitored on google analytics) after i do this than when i put a paid advert in.
    This has led to freelance work with News Ltd, (again i was referred to them by the free paper), weddings and other approaches for freelance work.
    Doing the 12 Hour at Bathurst (motorsport) for myself 2 years in a row, and not getting paid but getting published, got me the ooportunity at the Bathurst 1000 last year to work for News Ltd - i got paid, got published and got a ticket that you can't buy - ie accreditation. (btw a goal of mine since my first visit to Bathurst in 1978!!!)
    I agree getting published for the sake of getting published is not a long term goal -and nor should it be - but sometimes you have to start at the bottom and climb up the ladder - as long as you have a plan - work the plan - and use the media as much as they use you!!!

If doing so small local festivals for the next few years and getting published in local rags or minor mags - eventually leads to the OP attaining is goal of accreditation and paid work at the BDO - then that's OK in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffde View Post
    So IMHO when someone is happy to be published, I dont want to be a spoilsport, but to me its slightly hollow if they didnt get paid for it. Its clear, that anyone can do that. And if you do that, then you're simply going to have no profession left to use your diploma of photography.

Whilst i agree in principle with you William - the provision of photos and getting published can lead to other work - if you have the profile. I provide photos to the local "free" weekly photo news paper and get a small add in return which promotes my name, what i do etc. (could say its paid then)- I get more hits on my website (monitored on google analytics) after i do this than when i put a paid advert in.
    This has led to freelance work with News Ltd, (again i was referred to them by the free paper), weddings and other approaches for freelance work.
    Doing the 12 Hour at Bathurst (motorsport) for myself 2 years in a row, and not getting paid but getting published, got me the ooportunity at the Bathurst 1000 last year to work for News Ltd - i got paid, got published and got a ticket that you can't buy - ie accreditation. (btw a goal of mine since my first visit to Bathurst in 1978!!!)
    I agree getting published for the sake of getting published is not a long term goal -and nor should it be - but sometimes you have to start at the bottom and climb up the ladder - as long as you have a plan - work the plan - and use the media as much as they use you!!!

If doing so small local festivals for the next few years and getting published in local rags or minor mags - eventually leads to the OP attaining is goal of accreditation and paid work at the BDO - then that's OK in my opinion.
    I think we agree with each other. My method of stating the point that a student needs somewhere to aspire to if they want a profession to exist, may have been to brief, and could be misunderstood. Yes it can lead to other work - paid work. I dont want to sidetrack this issue, as we all need to start somewhere, and a big break of being published can be just that, a big break. So I agree with that. But I know of a large number of people who do give their work away, not once, not twice, but they make a career of it. That was my point which was shortened to simply point out that as a photographic student, with I assume a goal to be published and then paid for their work, to ensure that its being published because its good enough, not just to fill space in the media because its free.

And again I agree with you in principle that doing the small places is a great way to start, but the sad fact is that I'd like to encourage places who want to restrict media passes to working media, because hopefully BDO is at the top of the list for paid work, and without that, there would be nothing to aspire to. And I assume that would be their plan

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys thanks for all your input!
    The main thing I was unsure on was the "media accreditation" but i now know how it all works.
    I am not making a career change, have my own plumbing company which pays the bills. This is more of a hobby/intrest that I have always had and decided to take it a little further.
    I don't intend on doing work for free but I think if you are starting at the bottom of the food chain you need to take what you can get to get your self know and worth paying money for. Every cent I earn from this will go towards new gear and hopefully extra spending money but I am aware that I am a long way off at the moment.
    I have a few mates bands lined up at the moment so starting there and hopefully get something published. This work I am doing for free to help both them and I get noticed.