User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Questions for those who shoot shows (especially with D700)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions for those who shoot shows (especially with D700)

My brother has invited me to attend one of his band's shows and – while I'm at it – photograph the event.

I've never photographed shows before. In fact, I rarely ever photograph moving subjects. So... I'm not sure what slowest shutter speed I should use, assuming I'm shooting with a normal lens (not a wide angle or a telephoto).

Question specific for D700 owners: Although I've had the D700 for a year, I've never shot in these light conditions (see video below, made at a different venue). Looks like the lighting will be even during the whole show, but dim. What maximum ISO should I use (without having to reduce noise in post)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Facebook page / Website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that with a D700 you could shoot comfortably at iso 1600-3200 and get a very nice result. I`d probably get right back and use a 24-70 or up close with a 14-24. Nice to get close. The sound may be a problem by the sound of this clip. I don`t know what lenses you have to use. Someone here will have a better idea than me. I`m looking forward to doing the same in oct ober with my new camera (D7000).
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    I think that with a D700 you could shoot comfortably at iso 1600-3200 and get a very nice result. I`d probably get right back and use a 24-70 or up close with a 14-24. Nice to get close. The sound may be a problem by the sound of this clip. I don`t know what lenses you have to use. Someone here will have a better idea than me. I`m looking forward to doing the same in oct ober with my new camera (D7000).
    Thanks, Graeme. Those are the kind of lenses I'm planning on bringing with me (Tamron 28-75 and Tokina 11-16, both f2.8). I have a faster lens, but it might be too long for close quarters like these. Sound is not an issue – gladly I'm only photographing, not capturing video I heard that the D7000 is amazing in terms of high-ISO quality and a great all-around camera, so congrats!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, I really looking forward to getting it. Those lenses you have will be perfect for the band shoots Federico.