User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: film scanning issue

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    16 Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    film scanning issue

    Hi guys

    I was scanning some ilford HP5 negs (v700) when one of the squares refused to give me the correct colour, ie, it kept the brown tint in had in the preview. When I tried to correct it using colour balance in PS, it was left with a funny green tint.

    I then tried scanning the neg with a normal flatbed, then inverting it and playing around with the brightness/contrast. That created a decent scan.

    I've posted the photo on flickr and the original v700 scan (post PS) is in the comments.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/arubaato/5455448951/

    Any ideas?
    Criticism & Suggestions welcome
    A pretty standard Canon setup covering the 17-200 range.
    Sigma 50 1.4
    Various film cameras

    My Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arubaato/

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    07 Jan 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Northside
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is not a criticism of the image itself ....but rather an observation only in relation to the scanner that has been used here,
    I can can pick up the "minor flaws" here to do with the scanners as the image looks a little "soft" ...Its difficult to make a call on how to fix this shot, without seeing a copy of the original printed image - to compare against...apart from a bits of dust//specs in the shot which can be easily cleaned up - overall the image looks quite reasonable to me.
    NB: in case there is more than 1 shot the image I looked at was an architectural shot.....
    Last edited by Kevin M; 21-02-2011 at 7:48pm.
    Kevin M
    "FNQ Bolter"

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    19 Aug 2010
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that happened i think a bit to me, i think it happened on the bits on the end of negative where it did not lay flat.

    With the negative, have you tried just converting it to straight black and white in PS?
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

  4. #4
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    16 Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
    this is not a criticism of the image itself ....but rather an observation only in relation to the scanner that has been used here,
    I can can pick up the "minor flaws" here to do with the scanners as the image looks a little "soft" ...Its difficult to make a call on how to fix this shot, without seeing a copy of the original printed image - to compare against...apart from a bits of dust//specs in the shot which can be easily cleaned up - overall the image looks quite reasonable to me.
    NB: in case there is more than 1 shot the image I looked at was an architectural shot.....
    I was referring more to the second photo which is in the comments. I'll post it here for convenience. For some reason the scan of a b&w film gave a green tint.

  5. #5
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    16 Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fabian628 View Post
    that happened i think a bit to me, i think it happened on the bits on the end of negative where it did not lay flat.

    With the negative, have you tried just converting it to straight black and white in PS?
    this roll of film came back especially curvy for some reason. I'll try converting it to B&W in PS to try, but I shouldn't have to given it's a B&W film to start with.

  6. #6
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    16 Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first image is after I tried to correct the colour using PS and was left with a green tint

    The second image is after I tried converting to B&W. a lot of detail is lost.

    Maybe there's no answer and I just have to accept this as another one of those quirky things about film.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    21 Apr 2010
    Location
    Matraville
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you using Epsom scan? There should be a drop down box where you can input what type of film it is. Positive/negative and I think black and white
    Canon 7D, 550D, 1N HS, EOS 88, 17-55 2.8, 18-200mm, 10-22mm, 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 28-105
    Canon AE-1, 50mm, Nikon FM2(n), 50mm, 24-70mm, Tamron 300mm
    Mamiya RB 67 Pro-S 90mm C, 180mm C
    Mamiya M645 1000s, 35mm C, 80mm C, 150mm C, 210 mm C
    430EX II, Benro Tripod and Monopod
    and a bunch of toy cameras!
    -Tim

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    07 Jan 2009
    Location
    Brisbane Northside
    Posts
    511
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks now I see the point, I would suggest the best way to fix these issues is a little adjustments in Photoshop or similiar program....
    could I have a go at some adjustments?
    Last edited by Kevin M; 25-02-2011 at 10:51pm.

  9. #9
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    16 Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mitgonk View Post
    Are you using Epsom scan? There should be a drop down box where you can input what type of film it is. Positive/negative and I think black and white
    Haven't been on for a while, so just saw your replies.

    Of Course!! that makes sense and I did leave it on Color Negs because that's what I mostly scan. I have to try it soon. Thank you! I can't believe it's such a simple reason.

  10. #10
    Member
    Threadstarter

    Join Date
    16 Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
    thanks now I see the point, I would suggest the best way to fix these issues is a little adjustments in Photoshop or similiar program....
    could I have a go at some adjustments?
    Thanks. Mitgonk above just suggested something really obvious that I'm going to try out. If I still have problems after that I might take you up on that offer. Cheers!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    21 Apr 2010
    Location
    Matraville
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not a problem!

    let us know how you go!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •