User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Problems with new 7D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with new 7D

I've just ordered a 7D..don't have it in my hands yet!..and have been reading a lot of posts saying how different it is from other Canons.

I've orderd the Magic Lantern guide to the 7D (recom from these forums) but would really like to know the problems first time 7D users faced when they got their body (no matter what their level of photography experience)

Please let me know how you set your settings...as I've read through posts how personal the setup of the 7D is.

Thanks so much,

Amanda xx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amanda, I have had my 7d for one day. I am continually looking at the menus to familiarize myself with the myriad of settings. I do refer to the manual when I need to. I have also ordered a guide and will follow that in more depth when it arrives. Just keep pushing buttons until your familiar with the camera.
    Robbo (Neil)

Canon 7D, Canon 24-105mm f4 L, Canon 18-200mm IS, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1.4 USM, Sigma 10-20mm UWA Canon 400D

How do I change my signature?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems - None

You just have to get in there and get used to it
    Last edited by MarkChap; 19-02-2011 at 12:47am.
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Amanda
    I got a 7D when they were first released and have not had any issues
    I find all the extras on the camera put it ahead as they don`t have these features
    I picked up a 5D mark II a year later and I missed the features even though it takes better images
    Keep your little handbook in your backpack
    Once you start using it find the answers to your questions in there
    Enjoy your new camera and take lots of great images !!!
    Last edited by John Finnan; 19-02-2011 at 1:10am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be honest I was one of those with lots of problems with my new 7D. I'll add that I have since bought a second one I am so happy with it.

My main problem with the 7D was I was trying to use it like my 350D. They are nothing alike and once I stopped looking at it like that things improved out of site.

Yes I carry the manual with me all the time. I look at something and think "now if I could get the camera to work this way then I can get the shot i want" I then reach in and check the manual then I get my shot.

The magic lantern guide is great.
    My advice when you get your new camera. Make your favourite beverage. Sit down at a large clear table with said beverage camera and manual. Read the manual a bit at a time and play with the camera as you go and enjoy the beverage. Have a look around and pick an object that you can get consistent lighting on and take all your test images of that item. If you have a static object that you can constantly refer back to it can be a lot easier.

Finally. Enjoy the new toy. It's so much fun!
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ATP View Post
    ...as I've read through posts how personal the setup of the 7D is.
    That's the key point.

It's very customisable, not only for personal preferences but moreso to suit different situations. Without knowing what you're photographing or problems you're having (if any) it's almost impossible to suggest any settings.

These are a handy learning tool,

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/control...articleID=3167

Download each of these little videos to your ipod, iphone or computer. Have the camera in your lap & pause the video when needed and go through the settings and play on your own camera.

Most of all though, get out and use it. if you have any probs or questons then fire away.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 19-02-2011 at 2:20am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much everyone...really appreciate the advice...it helps to know that other people get just as bamboozled !! I'll let you know how I go

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Peter that it isn't like the other Canon's and I too had to make some changes to how I approached things when I updated from the 450 to the 7. Especially when it came to post production.

I think that the single biggest issue that people have when coming to terms with it is the focusing system. So many people don't use it correctly and end up with photos that aren't sharp and blame the camera. Take your time to learn the different focus modes and what works for you. This is a good video to introduce you to the options. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-K8MP1HFnE
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it off of the default focusing mode (19-point fully auto) as soon as you get it, and don't ever return. Start with centre point or centre area, and expand to other modes as you learn the camera.

Take it off of green square or CA exposure mode, and don't ever return. Start with P mode, and expand as you learn.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who replied to this post...now have my 7D in my hot little hands and can't wait to test it out. I took your advice Peter and bought the Magic Lantern Guide...sat down with my favourite bevvy...and went through it from start to finish. I know the theory very well now...have probably been studying that more instead of braving up and just getting out there and taking real photos...so no excuses now !! Cheers Everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No excuses indeed.
    Now lets see some results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my 7d as my first SLR, so I can't say what the difference between it and other SLRs. I can only say what is the differnece between it and my old G11.

At first, I didn't find my 7d giving me better photos than my my G11, but eventually, I found it a great camera. You will be able to take beautiful photos even with very little experience as me.
    Be happy, life is beautiful, even through a humble point and shoot camera
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've had my 7d for about 6 months now and the only problem with it was user error on my behalf...

i haven't used other canon cameras (came over from a sony alpha), but i love it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Max. I've quickly read these and bookmarked them for future in depth review.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the link max, it was very helpful

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no problems with the 7D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this camera very useful and fun to play with, combined with good set of lenses it's one of the best camera I've ever used..no regrets at all. Enjoy your new toy
    jrgdesign.com
    ______
    :: Canon 7D + BG-E7 :: Canon 50D + BG-E2N ::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    Take it off of the default focusing mode (19-point fully auto) as soon as you get it, and don't ever return. Start with centre point or centre area, and expand to other modes as you learn the camera.
    I agree with this, but not just becuase i usually use center point myself, but because on my 7D, the 19 point autofocus is TERRIBLE.
    It always focuses to the front, even when there is nothing closer that could be fooling the camera (or user).
    EG. point at a brick wall, it still focuses to an invisible object in front of that wall.
    yet change it to center point, and all is well.