User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Questions on Ipad and RAW files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions on Ipad and RAW files

I am now using my Ipad to download pics whilst travelling and then transferring all the files on my Mac when I get home. It's a great way of seeing what you've done instantly on a decent sized screen so I can re-shoot if necessary and show them to others, but I don't do any editing until I get home. But I have a question or two about RAW file transfers to the Ipad. Previously with my 350D I was only shooting jpegs and everything was fine. Now with a new 5DMk2 and shooting RAW, the files are coming across OK for viewing but are not nearly as sharp as when I get them home and onto the Mac for editing (using Aperture). I was on the verge of deleting a bunch of photos which didn't look very sharp on the Ipad, but luckily I kept them and they were so much sharper on the Mac. So my questions are:

a) What am I seeing on the Ipad - the actual RAW file or a jpeg copy (even though I am shooting RAW only, not RAW+jpeg)?
    b) Is the screen resolution of the Ipad too low for viewing every detail of RAW files? (Ipad 2 looks like it will have a higher resolution)
    c) Would an app such as PhotoRaw, Capture Pilot or Pirawna improve the viewing experience of RAW files on the Ipad? (given that I don't need to edit in the Ipad, I just want to view the RAW pics on the Ipad in all their full-frame glory to check whether I have got the focus, DOF and other settings right whilst I'm still in the field)
    d) What device do you use for viewing RAW files on the road?

Thanks for any insights.
    Always in two minds whether to capture the moment or just savour it...
    350D + kit lenses just upgraded to 5D2, 24-105mm, 50mm 1.4 and bags of hope

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RAW files have a low-res jpg file embedded in them for previews, I suppose the Ipad is just displaying that.
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the connect produces a copy or the iPad only displays jpeg's and does a bad job of it.
    Jase

Comments and critique always welcome.

Flickr

Stuff Canon 5D MK II, Canon 30d, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100mm Macro, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 17-70mm

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if you're right the ipad doesn't actually view RAW files at all, just jpeg copies. Hmmm.... not much use as a RAW file viewer then.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The iPad doesn't read raw files, the quality difference probably comes as a result of the downscaling of the image. As well as reduced IQ watch out for aberrations, I almost threw out some night sky shots because of some nasty aberrations in one area of the frame when viewed on the iPad.