User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  16

Thread: What happens when you 'borrow' a photo off the net : Legal Case (USA)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What happens when you 'borrow' a photo off the net : Legal Case (USA)

Thought this one might be of interest to members here. Remember this is an American case, and in Australia you do not have to register copyright, it is assigned to the person who pressed the shutter button, at the time of capture, (unless domestic portraiture, or a contract exists to over-rule standard practice).

How a $10.00 photo cost $4000.00 (USD)

http://blog.webcopyplus.com/2011/02/...oto/#more-4566
    Last edited by ricktas; 18-02-2011 at 2:57pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shocking ignorance from people who work in the industry. I love the attempt to make it look like they were bullied as well, acting all hurt because they don't get to decide how much the work they stole is worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James T View Post
    Shocking ignorance from people who work in the industry. I love the attempt to make it look like they were bullied as well, acting all hurt because they don't get to decide how much the work they stole is worth.
    Totally agree. In the article they completely agree that they were wrong.

"Borrowing" images even for mock ups is a way of life for the majority of designers and for some reasons thats seen as an accepted practice. Its not, its wrong.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty ignorant for someone that is "in the industry" to be so blatantly unaware of the laws surrounding there chosen profession. i would have to think that such an article could only hurt there business as from my point of view it does seem quite unprofessional.
    Like going to your accountant and saying "can i claim for this?" and he says "sure why not ! ". Not exactly confidence inspiring....

Simon,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is, what would they do if someone "borrowed" something of the web that they had created?
    Thanks Steve
    Winer of the sheep week 2 + 6
    www.atkimages.com.au "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough," ROBERT CAPA"
    Tokina 16-28 f2.8 PRO FX,Sigma 500 4.5 Ex DG, Canon 5D Mii, Canon 7D, Canon 2x converter,Canon 70-200 2.8 L,
    Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX, Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX, Canon 1.4x converter, Canon 580 ex 2 speed light
    And two canon kit Lenses.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or ...... to adopt the salmon swimming upstream mode for the day, maybe photographer's shouldn't always assume that they have been ripped off and take some responsibility for releasing photos into the wild.

I still work on the basis that mistakes happen just as crap happens in Afghanistan, and people need to be a little less greedy, a little more conciliatory, a little less litigeous and perhaps a little less precious.

There is an attitude that suggests photographers are always in the right, always worth a lot more than others, and that somehow we belong on pedestals. Photographers need to protect their work, and to earn a living - but they also need to protect their integrity and not assume a greater value in the scheme of things than is perhaps justified. They might also pause for a moment and reflect on the fact that someone else likes their work and factor that into the equation before reaching for a lawyer and seeking inflated amounts. Not everything needs to be settled via aggression and litigation even though it is the first port of call for many.

OK ... you can start thowing stones now .....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that case after Wlilliam posted it on facebook. Based on what I read I think the lawyer probably got $3990 and the photographer $10.....or at least it seemed so.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time they have been caught, they should say, I think.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, I can't see why they would post that article, it just makes them look bad, and unrepentant.