Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Show & Wedding - Tips?

Between Eulo and Toompine, far south western QLD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show & Wedding - Tips?

Hey everyone Hope your all having a lovely day, I'm going to harass you now Lol.

I've been asked to photograph the upcoming Tara Show (Yeh, they must be desperate :P) and also have the change to do a wedding in late March. I've never done anything like this on this scale before, and to say the least, I'm pretty nervous. And asking you lovely, knowledgeable people was the first thing that popped into my head . So any advise on how to handle it would be muchly appreciated
    Meg
    CC appreciated and welcome!

http://www.facebook.com/Photography.MeganHenry

Canon 7D | Canon 18-55mm & 55-250mm | Canon 100-400mm L | Canon 100mm L Macro |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's the Tara Show ?

wedding - if u've never done any, don't take any money. saves u a lot of risk. even if they insist on paying you.
    otherwise just have fun and I'd say buy a flash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got married there was a younger guy tagging along with our photographer just so that he could learn angles and settings. It worked out well for us as he got some good shots that the main photographer didn't and it cost us nothing extra. Do you know any wedding photographers that wouldn't mind you tagging along?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post
    what's the Tara Show ?

wedding - if u've never done any, don't take any money. saves u a lot of risk. even if they insist on paying you.
    otherwise just have fun and I'd say buy a flash.
    The Tara show is...um, kinda like a agricultural show x community day out set up, held in Tara (Tara is a town, lol) Horse events, stock judging, stalls, fashions, dog trails, fireworks....that kind of thing
    And noooo I'm not getting paid, it's mainly for the experience side of things. I was just wondering on things to do and not to do, lol. Flash, right, cool, thank you!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macrocephalic View Post
    When I got married there was a younger guy tagging along with our photographer just so that he could learn angles and settings. It worked out well for us as he got some good shots that the main photographer didn't and it cost us nothing extra. Do you know any wedding photographers that wouldn't mind you tagging along?
    That's a good idea, but unfortunately I don't. For this upcoming wedding there won't be any professionals but the bride's Aunt (who happens to be my best friend's mother) has done this kind of thing before, so she asked me to come to. For some reason, out of all the people I and my family know, I'm the only one that's into photography on the gonna-make-a-career-out-of-it scale. Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Flash, and have it as a permanent fixture on the camera for shooting the wedding. Adds sparkle to their eyes
    Word of the day
    Flickr
    http://nob.au.com
    Canon 5d, Canon 20d, Canon 30d, and a whole lotta Canon glass
    For Geeky Tshirts check out
    http://www.gtee.com.au

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirNobicus View Post
    +1 for Flash, and have it as a permanent fixture on the camera for shooting the wedding. Adds sparkle to their eyes
    Okay, thank you! What would be the best one to get? (Still very much a beginner, so, to technical isn't a bright idea :P)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Show.....You need to look at the schedule when it comes out so you can be organised. Need shots of the President ( and his/her partner ), secretary in the office, dudes on the gate. The major winners of the comps. ( Horse , sheep, birds,cattle whatever you have at your show ) Check the schedule for presentation times. Inside the pavillions as well general crowd shots, cute kids at the farm animals etc. Machinery exhibits........The whole Miss Show girl malarky.....the prejudging who ha........the judges.........winners, handing over prizes etc. There may be someone from the paper at this so you need to know who is doing what when! Fireworks? ( we have fireworks on the last evening .....always good for a couple of shots ). And then anything special for that year..........like its bucketing rain and the showies cant get into the grounds......and you need to know when whoever asked for them needs them done by and in what format.....
    Yes you will need flash.....
    cheers
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never do weddings if you are new. Simple.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricstew View Post
    For the Show.....You need to look at the schedule when it comes out so you can be organised. Need shots of the President ( and his/her partner ), secretary in the office, dudes on the gate. The major winners of the comps. ( Horse , sheep, birds,cattle whatever you have at your show ) Check the schedule for presentation times. Inside the pavillions as well general crowd shots, cute kids at the farm animals etc. Machinery exhibits........The whole Miss Show girl malarky.....the prejudging who ha........the judges.........winners, handing over prizes etc. There may be someone from the paper at this so you need to know who is doing what when! Fireworks? ( we have fireworks on the last evening .....always good for a couple of shots ). And then anything special for that year..........like its bucketing rain and the showies cant get into the grounds......and you need to know when whoever asked for them needs them done by and in what format.....
    Yes you will need flash.....
    cheers
    Jan
    Hey Jan, thanks for that I've not long received the schedule and I'll get a list from the president on what she specifically wants done. I've got 12 days, lol. I like to be as prepared as possible, as soon as possible
    I'm definitely going to have to look into this flash....

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Never do weddings if you are new. Simple.
    I definitely won't be the only one, it's just as a learning experience. Don't worry, I'm not that confident lol.