User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smugmug users ?? Can I pick your brain please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Campo makes a good point, I recently switched from Photomerchant back to Smugmug due to some issues I was having that couldn't be resolved in the timeframe required. However, my clients didn't know this occured as I just changed where the url pointed to. And if one day, a good aussie site is available to provide the services I require, I can just point it to their server. No need for clients to change anything, http://allannielsenphotography.com will always point to my current photo site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campo View Post
    Basically the good reason is that web hosting services provide only web hosting and not domain name services, and vice versa. In general, not many companies offer a combined service and when they do, it's generally (a) not very good value for money or (b) two separate companies that work closely together to make it appear as one (eg. Smugmug and GoDaddy). As Allan pointed out, sometimes a web host doesn't provide all services associated to a domain name (eg. email). It's a little confusing, but the way it works is actually very flexible.

Whilst Rick describes it as a "redirect", a domain name registration is more like a internet bookmark, it simply tells your browser where to find the server that hosts your website. For example I can change my hosting provider (eg smugmug) to another provider and when i'm ready to switch over i simply switch where my domain name "bookmark" points.
    I'm still trying to come to terms with this issue. Scenerio - All of my websites and domain names are hosted by TPG and have been for over twelve years. I pay $198 per year for the combined service and get 5Gb of space per site plus unlimited emails (probably 100). Old email addresses are also redirected through TPG until such time as they no longer serve a purpose (a couple of years maybe) and old TPG email addresses are available until I close the service.
    Like most corporates I want clients to have only one URL per business and I want to redirect them myself as I feel appropriate by using a simple link on my website or promoting it via email. What am I missing out on by working this way? I'm just a little confused.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Redgum, You're not missing out on anything, it's just different ways to skin a cat.
    I have a few domains, a business site & various emails through MD webhosting. Smugmug and the like are just an easy and cost effective way to set up a photographic site for those of us without the web skills to make one or the want the expense of having one made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Redgum, You're not missing out on anything, it's just different ways to skin a cat.
    I have a few domains, a business site & various emails through MD webhosting. Smugmug and the like are just an easy and cost effective way to set up a photographic site for those of us without the web skills to make one or the want the expense of having one made.
    Thanks Art, that's what I needed to hear. I use Smugmug and Flickr and a few others for different purposes and I don't want to complicate life as they all work well and generate results but I use my own sites for shopping and FTP as appropriate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allann View Post
    No difference (except I save a packet each year in not having .au). In many ways it's more about how you set the site up for search engines that affects traffic not whether you have a .au or not. If it's just for personal use then .com or even .net is fine.
    a "packet" ?

My .au domains cost me $20 a year instead of $7 or $8 a year. $12 doesnt quite seem like a "packet" ?
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience has been the same as Longshots and the difference has generally been minimal. Just need to shop around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    a "packet" ?

My .au domains cost me $20 a year instead of $7 or $8 a year. $12 doesnt quite seem like a "packet" ?
    True, $12 doesn't account for a packet but if its just for your personal use then I'd say save it. Even if its only a small amount, its still $12. You could shop around for webhosting and a domain like Redgum said. There a few out there that offer both in one go. If you know how to handle your computer you could also purchase it for 2 separate companies.
    Last edited by I @ M; 20-06-2011 at 6:34pm. Reason: Removed commercial references.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12