User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Back drop stand from handy hubby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back drop stand from handy hubby

Ok so I am crawling out of the depths of summer flu......my temp is down to about 39 deg ( yeah yeah I know panadol and fluids ) but!
    See what the old boy made me!! It only took weeks on whinging bitchin cajoling and then flu! ( HE SHARED! so it must have been GUILT! )
    My other stand was held together with duct tape and wishes.......well duct tape doesn't like 40 deg heat so it gave way and everything twisted and warped......and threatened to fall down. It also wasn't tall enough so I had to clone the top when subjects are tall.....and the curtain rod sagged in the middle so I couldn't straighten the muslin.....and it looked yukky....and I could only hang one muslin so the other got all scrunched up and they are a pain to steam lol.....ya get the picha??
    So now I have a nice solid never gonna fall over stand! copied from those lovely million dollar manfrotto's....has a screw thing in the bottom to tighten it against the ceiling...and awesome poles that don't sag in the middle!!!...... total cost about $30.....excuse the poor images while I am crook....later this week when I am better I will sticky tape that tiny cat down and teach it how to pose!

cheers
    Jan

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a truly professional job.

Now all you have to do is to get the iron out for the muslin to do it justice, after all, that isn't a mans job.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It certainly looks solid enough and I think you should have used bounce flash to reduce the shadows and in #3 your horizon is crooked. Does it have foam on the top plate to protect the ceiling?

Adrian Fischer
    Brisbane, Australia

Gear: Nikon D80, D300, Nikon 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 18-200 VR, 70-200 VR, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8, Sigma 50-500, Tonkina 12-24 f4, SB-600, various YongNuo Strobes, various umbrellas, 6 x 300w studio flashes, various softboxes, reflectors, stands, transmitters and receivers.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky you Jan having a hubby that is a handyman. Please tell him that he did a great job.
    I managed to pick up a very wide portable clothes stand from work today that I am going to use for backdrops - unfortunately it is probably only suitable for kids or sitting poses height wise. Still it didn't cost me anything and it's a lot sturdier than the $20 cheapie I bought from ALDI.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I have put the manfrotto feet against ceilings and walls, I have been recomended chux to stop them leaving a mark. Its worked well so far.

Thats a good looking setup, you just need to paint it black!
    Togs are what my son wears to go swimming.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wanna marry him next!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crooked horizon! Ya lucky i remembered to put film in the camera.....oh bugger I didn't .....its digital I forgot...... Its got black stick on foamy stuff to protect the ceiling on the plates.....from the $2 shop in town Gotta admit I am stoked.......this will be so much easier..... Wonder how long it would take to convince him I need to ditch the carpet.....I love my studio/sewing/craft room......but it does need a little bit of tweaking....
    Oh and Andrew.....if you need something ironed in this house you do it yourself.......my backdrop so I guess I will be the one doing it! Much much easier when its hanging up tho! The theory is iron it and hook the bottom to the top with clips so it doesn't get scrunched Nell have fun with your back drops. It is amazing what different fabrics look like.......I have a great collection of vintage fabrics that I use.....Vinnies is my favourite boutique!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just goes to show that when us men come up with an idea, it's not always stupid.
    I'm just waiting for the kids to do a runner so I can setup their bedroom the same. I do like the way it's mounted to the wall. Top stuff.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks pretty solid Jan.....and heavy....
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually not that heavy Graeme......but not designed to be portable. I can manage it on my own Tho I do need to stand on a chair to hook the poles up lol
    cheers
    Jan