User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I print what my monitor shows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I print what my monitor shows?

I have noticed that when I print my photos, i am getting a different picture to the colours i am seeing on my monitor. Was talking to someone recently who advised there was something that can be used to calibrate the monitor? I am pretty basic when it comes to computers and am really only interested from a hobby perspective, however, it can be disappointing when your pictures don't look the same as on your computer. Any thoughts?

FYI
    D90 Nikon
    Computer with Phillips monitor - nothing flash but works ok
    Photoshop Elements
    Canon i865 printer
    Kodak glossy photo plus paper

cheers
    jo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you need to calibrate the colours on your monitor, but could also be complicated by issues like viewing your photos on your monitor in sRGB and a lab using aRGB and things like that also

But google spyder2, should cost you $100 or so, does an OK job if you just use the one monitor for proofing, there are lots of other more expensive calibrators out there also
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the easy way is to print a picture and calibrate your monitor to that picture... works in thoery but its not ideal. at least that way you should be able to get what you see....

darrens answer is of course better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just to elaborate, you are using your own printer - you need to make sure you use the right printer and paper profile when printing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To fully understand this stuff takes a bit of reading and study. This is getting into the realms of serious enthusiast stuff. Do you know the difference between sRGB and Adobe RGB ?? Or even heard the term colourspace or colour profiles ?? I dont mean to sound demeaning or patronising but its a little bit beyond the basics of digital photography. I suggest you do a bit of reading.
    Hi Im Darren

www.darrengrayphotography.com

SONY A850 (FF)] + GRIP | SONY A350 (APS-C) + GRIP | SONY NEX-5 +16 2.8 + 18-55 E-MOUNT LENSES | CZ 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-75 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 | 2 x 42AMs | 24" imac | LR | CS4 | + loads of other junk

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    just to elaborate, you are using your own printer - you need to make sure you use the right printer and paper profile when printing
    Yes, I am setting up the printing using the right printer and paper profile

Edit my first thread - Canon Glossy Photo Plus - not Kodak

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdazzler View Post
    To fully understand this stuff takes a bit of reading and study. This is getting into the realms of serious enthusiast stuff. Do you know the difference between sRGB and Adobe RGB ?? Or even heard the term colourspace or colour profiles ?? I dont mean to sound demeaning or patronising but its a little bit beyond the basics of digital photography. I suggest you do a bit of reading.
    I have heard of sRGB and Adobe RGB. Can you direct me to any reading materials - keeping in mind I am not looking for university training, simply wanting to know what others are doing. thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll rent you my Spyder3 Studio if you like...

Take a look at the datacolor website, it will show you what things you need to do to calibrate correctly, and explain what these terms mean.

Basically, even if using a printer profile that was made for the paper and printer you have, results will still be different to what is seen on the screen, how different, is the issue. I have profiled my paper, ink and printer using the Spyder3 studio, and while it is better than it was before the custom profile, it is still not brilliant. The printer being an all in one may be part of the issue, and a dedicated photo printer may be better with a custom profile.

Just make sure that your screen is using a colourspace that it can actually display and, you printer is also using a profile for the gamut it can print. Often printing in sRGB will produce more saturated and less flat images than what printing in aRGB will unless, you have assigned aRGB to the image, the monitor (assuming it can display the wider gamut) and the print profile was made with test swatches using your printer, ink and paper printed in aRGB (assuming the printer can print the aRGB gamut or thereabouts)

Confused yet?

It takes a bit of reading....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jo,
    Tell us more about the print mismatch - are they too dark, too light, or is there a colour shift? If so, what is the nature of that colour shift?

What settings are you using to print?

Regards,
    Calx
    Calxoddity
    Concert Pianist, Test Pilot, Pathological Liar

Nikon D40, Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 HSM, Nikkor AF-D 50mm f1.8
    Post Processing: Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justjo View Post
    I have heard of sRGB and Adobe RGB. Can you direct me to any reading materials - keeping in mind I am not looking for university training, simply wanting to know what others are doing. thanks
    You didnt make it really clear in your OP is all. It was worded like you didnt really know what what/why it was happening. One wouldnt assume youd know about colourspace from the OP.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calxoddity View Post
    Jo,
    Tell us more about the print mismatch - are they too dark, too light, or is there a colour shift? If so, what is the nature of that colour shift?

What settings are you using to print?

Regards,
    Calx
    I would say the printing is probably a bit darker and not as sharp - could that be an issue with the printer - it is pretty cheap after all. Sorry, i don't actually know what 'colourshift' means, but overall i would say that my screen shows it as more brilliant whereas the print is a bit darker/less brilliant. The particular shot i am focussing on is a shot at dusk, so my iso is up quite high and the shutter was open quite a while but on the monitor it nearly looks like it is shimmering whereas when i print it, it looks to have quite a bit of noise and has lost its shimmer. In printing, i am setting the paper choice to match Canon Photo plus glossy as well as asking it to print high quality. This may just be my inexperience - my husband loves the printed picture and comments on it all the time.... Just thought i could find out what i could do to make some improvements. I guess i wanted to avoid editing a photo and not being too sure how the print would work out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you post the photo here as you see it ?

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The simple version....

1. Calibrate your monitor
    See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...445#post232445 for more info

2. Only use the sRGB colour space (esp. as a hobbyist)

3. Do a test print with various print places until you find one that is close to your calibrated monitor
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    can you post the photo here as you see it ?
    I will tonight - i am at work and my photo is at home.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    The simple version....

1. Calibrate your monitor
    See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...445#post232445 for more info

2. Only use the sRGB colour space (esp. as a hobbyist)

3. Do a test print with various print places until you find one that is close to your calibrated monitor
    Kym - can you explain 3. - various print places? do you mean not use my own printer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jo,
    As a first and admittedly quick-and-dirty step, reduce the brightness of your monitor until it matches the apparent brightness of the print. Now how's it look?

Regards,
    Calx

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really need to know if the Canon paper profiles use sRGB or Adobe RGB, Epson use Adobe RGB to convert their profiles, most prints come out darker than the monitor colour so lightening them in levels by 10% could help. This is a subject that I have spent a great deal of time on, I now have my monitor and ICC profiles for the papers I use calibrated.

When you go to print from Elements, in Colour Management/colour handling, use Photoshop Elements Manages colour, Printer profile should be the canned ICC profile that is for the paper you use, the image in the box to the left of this menu will change to a close proximity to what will print out, if it looks too dark/light here, you can go back and adjust your image, make sure that the rendering intent is Perceptual, (see menu below). Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'll rent you my Spyder3 Studio if you like...

Have a look at the T&C in the fine print that came with your Spyder. I was going to get a couple of Spyders for AP and rent them out to members, but the T&C states you cannot rent the device out (it may have changed since I checked). At the time I contacted Colorvision direct and it was made very clear that I should not buy some to rent out.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calxoddity View Post
    Jo,
    As a first and admittedly quick-and-dirty step, reduce the brightness of your monitor until it matches the apparent brightness of the print. Now how's it look?

Regards,
    Calx
    Hi Jo

The above is a really good first tip. LCD monitors can be extremely bright and you really notice it when you print or even move an image to another screen. I need to turn my screen brightness to 0 to even get close to print 'brightness' - this is before worrying about all the other issues. Note also that some screen calibrators wont address a brightness issue so if you are going to use one then make sure it does.

Good luck.
    Josh
    Check out my new site - www.wattsgallery.com - feedback welcome

Gear - Canon 5D, 40D, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 200 2.8L, 50 1.8, 430EXII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Have a look at the T&C in the fine print that came with your Spyder. I was going to get a couple of Spyders for AP and rent them out to members, but the T&C states you cannot rent the device out (it may have changed since I checked). At the time I contacted Colorvision direct and it was made very clear that I should not buy some to rent out.
    Thats a bummer Rick as it would have been a good idea. I will have to have a look at the t&cs myself and see if the door is left open for the sharing of the device rather than 'hiring' of it. If that were the case we could buy one/some with donations and then make it available to members. May or may not be possible and you may have already explored this but thought it worth a try.

Cheers
    Josh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast