User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Manfrotto tripods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manfrotto tripods

Can anyone tell me why Manfrotto use 3/8" threads? I've had many cameras over 60 years but have never found one with 3/8".

I like manfrottos and use adapters and other intermediaries twixt camera and tripod but have never understood the 3/8".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the thread on the manfrotto plates screw into Canon, Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Haselblad and more. My guess is that Manfrotto use the thread cause that is what they need to use to attach to all the major camera brands.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3/8" thread is standard for semi-professional and professional tripods. It is meant to have a head screwed into it and except for very lightweight heads, they are all threaded for the 3/8 bolt. You don't screw a camera directly to the tripod, it is jut too limiting.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually you are correct on these things Rick but the thread on base of all/ most Camera's are 1/4" not 3/8".

Manfrotto do for some reason offer both 3/8 & 1/4 - I think perhaps 3/8 was used at some time in the past but not on the current crop of camera's.
    Regards
    Kevin

Nikon D500 D7200. nikkor 200-500 f5.6, Tamron 100-400, Nikkor 70-200 f4 plus other glass.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevpride/

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for your replies.
    Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Manfrotto tripod uses an adaptor plate which fixes separately to the camera then clips onto the tripod for fast on/off and all that.....
    Guessing you are talking about the thread to which the tripod head fixes to the base/legs.
    3/8" has been their standard for eons, don't know about other manufacturers, but if different, then it just means that Manfrotto heads only fit Manfrotto bases.
    "bit like how you can't fit the competitions lens to your camera"
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.