User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: converting 35mm negs to jpeg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

converting 35mm negs to jpeg

I after some advise on how/where to convert all of my negs from film to jpeg for cd and/store on my computer. Ive been told by a few places that developing negs is going to be more difficult as less places do it.
    Those neg scanners you get at harvey norman are useless. I ahve a place that does do it, but charge 91cents per neg image - would cost me lots of dollars.
    TIA
    Sarah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there and doing that.
    I bought an Epson V300 scanner to do mine as it was the best available in the budget at the time. Now the V700 is available but pricier.
    Did a Google and found someone in NSW who quotes 60c ea.
    I did contact a local company in WA who were very reasonable with their prices and were happy to just scan and give me the files to work on but to do the lot I have quoted $1400.00
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep it will cost you, companies are there to provide a service and make money,

Buying a scanner can cost you a few hundred to several thousand $$$. It is up to you how much you want to spend. My mum has a Nikon Coolscan and scanned over 20,000 transparencies, it worked very well.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies
    I think I will just bite the bullet and send them away to be done professionally
    Thanks again
    I am loving this website

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on how many you have, Mongo may be prepared to do them for you using his Canon 4000dpi dedicated film, negative, slide scanner ?? Mongo assumes it is a one off thing you want to do and once done, you will not need to do it again. So, it is hardly worth buying a scanner just for that one exercise.

Let Mongo know if he can help.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sarah.
    The decision is yours, but after so few replies? Biting the bullet assumes you have some idea what it's going to taste like. Do you know what the shop is going to offer you? OK, you said jpegs - well there's some potential info loss. But what resolution, etc? People who set out to do this usually have lots of like Qs to consider. Ultimately, what are you going to get for your 91c/print?

There's yet another way - re-photograph your transparencies. What gear do you have?. Is it capable of reasonable macro? Can you set up a little jig to get close to the transparencies?

There are quite a few threads on this topic on the forum here.

Ask a Q and you'll get a few answers.

My Q: Have you researched it enough?

In any case, good luck with your project.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further to Mongo’s earlier post and in part answer to Ameerat42’s post, Mongo agrees the best way for slide film (if that is what they are) is to re-photograph them with a digital camera. Mongo has previously mentioned how to do this before on AP and it works particularly well. This is also true if they are actual photographs. For everything else ( negatives), this will not be possible except as discussed earlier above..