Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Is it worth the web

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth the web

Folks,

looking at acquiring a new D90 or D7000 very soon. As much as I am determined to always buy Australian as much as possible I am having trouble rationalising the price difference between buying via internet companies as opposed to buying in Australia. The difference from numersous outlets appears to be on average about $400.

Is there any advice particularly regarding warranty issues with 'off the net' product that would make sell my offspring so I can afford to buy in Australia?

regards
    Flash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put simply, you have to rely on the overseas retailer for warranty. If it breaks nikon here will not honor the waranty and you have to send back to hong kong or wherever it came from for repair
    Last edited by kiwi; 06-02-2011 at 8:42am.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some overseas retailers offer "in Aus" warranty service for their gear...DWI for example. I have not had to out it to the test for camera bodies but I have for a t/c and it was fine.
    It is a personal decision as to whether you want to take the possible risk....but lots of people buy overseas.
    Last edited by Lani; 06-02-2011 at 10:23am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think for a body I would spend my money locally and get local warranty protection. A body is the one thing that is more likely to need warranty repair than any other piece of gear.
    If you were thinking of an overseas holiday, say to NZ, you can get your GST refunded if you 'export' the camera within 30 days of purchase. That would cut a bit of the cost differntial down. But I don't suggest an overseas trip just for that purpose - makes for a very expensive Nikon.
    Robert
    Nikon D300 and various Nikkor and Sigma lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I agree, if you do go grey, go local grey (if that makes sense) through places like DWI or D-D that do provide a back to base type service.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, how do you want to lose?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy grey, and I can vouch for D-D's service. You get a DOA period of 1 week (I think), and if it's faulty within that time, they'll swap it for a new one - been there and done that.

Just make sure you fully test the gear, and make sure you are happy with it before the DOA period ends. After that, I think they do local (Aus) repair.

Personally, I think the extra $ for Aus warranty is not worth it, and it's only 12 months anyway.
    You can purchase extended warranty from D-D too.

That's my 2 Cents worth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when I purchased my D90 I did look at the over seas market prices to ours and there was a big difference
    but I couldn't take the chance as if something goes wrong then it will be hard to get it fixed under warranty.