User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tassie Info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walk into Montezuma from the car park at Williansford is about 3km, or by 4WD along the old North East Dundas tramway formation (which is also the walking track from the east)
    West coast is rugged, East coast more picturesque, lovely everywhere with a photo opportunity around every corner and over every hill.
    We spent 4 1/2 weeks there a year ago and it wasn't enough. I'll chuck a few photos up in the "places" section
    Last edited by Damo 5D; 11-02-2011 at 12:15pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Damo....Do you know the best end to walk in from? Photography wise?

Thanks for the information and taking the time to tell me.
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the East at Williansford if you only have a 2WD, you'll get very wet and muddy walking in along the 4WD track, and it's further.
    Sorry, I haven't put up any photos yet, still loading them onto photobucket.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks....Willianford will be the go...I reckon it would be well worth the walk in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately walk in from Williamsford as theres a few little streams which you walk past. One has an old wooden bridge crossing is and its a great spot for a few shots.

Another set of falls which I visited on Monday is Forth Falls on the side of Lake Barrington. Its a brilliant place if you feel like a short hike. The track is pretty well defined and tagged. You would get some excellent photos there earlish in the morning or on a nice cloudy day

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's Williamsford. I was guessing so but I went on what Damo said.

Thank you so much for the help. By what I've seen on the net there are some awesome walkways and bridges. Not to mention the falls.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just booked our return flight...hey hey Tassie here we come.

Do I know how to save or what???

3 weeks for awesomeness! (is that a word? hahaha)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Montezuma Falls info page I found. Looks like a nice walk. 5.5kms of it. I reckon it will be well worth it.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like waterfalls, Halls falls on the east coast and inland a bit Mathinna falls is nice and overlooked by most people, both are a short walk, although there is some gravel road.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Phil. I will keep that in mind. It's all helpful information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jules, you've gotta walk over a suspension bridge to get to Montezuma Falls From memory, you're not overly a fan of them...or maybe that was cause I was making it wobble...

Canon 400D | 60mm f2.8 | 18-55mm | 75-300mm| 50mm f1.8 | 430EXII | Photoshop CS4
    Helpful & Honest Critique/Advice appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the best bit

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyK View Post
    Jules, you've gotta walk over a suspension bridge to get to Montezuma Falls From memory, you're not overly a fan of them...or maybe that was cause I was making it wobble...
    LOL Amy...that was fun. Seems if you are too close it wobbles more. Like it says stay 10 feet apart and its not as bad. It's Ivan that I'm worried about...I'll be wobbling it with him on there. LOL I'll take some pics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    were back there in 2 weeks .The Hartze mountain nat park is allways good for a few good shots and is only a relativly short drive from Hobart and if you drive back via Cygnet - peppermint bay theres some great sea scapes to take
    A man that’s lived a quiet uneventful life dies peacefully in his sleep but a man that’s lived an exciting life goes to his grave shouting “man that was one hell of a fun journey”

Sony 550a vanguard 263AT Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head.Manfrotto monopod+342 Ball head',Tamron 28-200 XR [IF], Sigma 17-35 DG EX HSM,Sony 18-70 sam kit lens,Sony 70-300 kit lens,sony Dt 2.8/30 macro and Minolta 35-70 F4 macro plus sony cybershot 707

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a while since I've been to Tassie but I do have a snapshot of Montezuma Falls taken near where we parked our car. You will need to do some walking if you want a decent photo though.
    Lilydale Falls, about 30ks from Launceston, is a must see. It's an easy 30 minute return stroll from the car park through some beautiful rainforest.
    Russell Falls in Mt Field NP is also a great one to see (and the place hubby and I got engaged). The walk is about a 20 minute round trip from the car park.
    Wineglass Bay on the east coast is also very picturesque but the walk is heaps more strenous than those I've mentioned previously but still worth the effort.
    You've also got Cataract Gorge right in the middle of Launceston which is a bit of a surprise.
    There are some lovely rest areas on your way up to Mt Wellington which are especially beautiful after a snowfall although that may not be as likely given the time of year you will be travelling there.
    Strahan is a lovely area too. Take a cruise up the river to see more beatiful landscapes.
    There's also the central lakes region which, if you're there at the right time, can fetch you some decent photos.
    Tasmania really is a beautiful place. Every where you turn there are photo opportunities. Queenstown is the only ugly blight on the landscape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was over in Tassie back in 2008 and we are heading back over in Nov this year. We did go to Montezuma falls and it is a very nice walk. I am not sure exactly how many photos I took but I did take heaps. The actual walk in from the car park is about 1 1/2 hours but is an easy walk. When we were there we were a little dissapointed because there wan't much water but it still was worth the walk.

If you get a chance go on the Gordon River Cruise at Strahan - just fantastic and we will be doing that again as well.
    Rene

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha it also tends to wobble if you have an over-enthusiastic 18 year old jumping on the bridge :P

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the bridge was sure different. I noticed with the research they had that kind of bridge. It wasn't me I was worried about. It was Ivan...LOL
    Thanks for all the ideas. I wouldn't mind exploring around wineglass bay. Didn't really get in there when we were there last time. It's good having these extra days to take our time this time.
    So is the Gordon River cruise good hey? It's something we might do then if we get that way.
    I do have my favourite spots. I like Hobart itself and surrounds. The East Coast and Stanley. And MANY more in between.
    I'll have to write some of these places down and research them further...Thank you everyone.
    Last edited by 41jas; 16-04-2011 at 10:41pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Gordon River cruise is good...but...I have been on it when it was foggy. We saw nothing, zero! So we sat aboard and talked the whole way. So like the rest of Tasmania, the weather plays a big part in your experience of a particular place, event!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12