User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding lens hep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would mainly use the 100 mm asuming its a Canon 100 mm macro F2.8.
    Recently used this lens in the Kruger Park and was surprised at the clarity of this lens.

Can now see why some members rave about prime lenses.

The 24-70L is a great lens but it is heavy and the image is a bit soft.

Although the 100mm is not a zoom lens you can move back and forth a bit to fit in the shot and also crop it afterwards as required.

Regards
    Last edited by Pine; 08-02-2011 at 12:21pm.
    Bodies : Canon 450D, Canon 7D
    Lenses : Canon 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100mm F2.8 Makro USM, Canon 24-70 L F2.8 USM, Canon 70-200 L F4, Canon 100-400 L F4.5-5.6L IS USM
    Editing : Photoshop CS5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If hiring an additional lens I would go for the 70-200, I use it at all weddings I cover and it gives you the added advantage of being able to step back a bit and get great intimate shots with beautiful DOF.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Turns out the choice has been taken out of my hands as the 70-200 is not available for that period of time so the 24-70 it has to be! Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use a 17-55mm on a crop sensor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Shelley, I would not ignore your kit lens'. The 18-55 will give you wider group shots if you need them and the 70-300 provide telephoto capacity. Light will be you big issue with these lens'. Not many people suggest it, but in low light with a good camera like the 7D you can bump your ISO to at least 800 and maybe 1600. You might like to have a look at David Zisser's book Captured by the Light.

I bought it for general advice on portraits, but it's main focus is weddings and it is one of the best photography books I've read in this area. Also talks about options for lens' for various aspects of weddings. The high ISO recommendation comes from Zisser and you might like to look at high website http://digitalprotalk.blogspot.com/ . He has some good video guides on the site as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with a few of the other go the 70-200
    Photoshop CS4 and lightroom 2 (lI know a little bit but am learning )
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated
    Feel free to re work my images, just please let me know what you did, and how you did it so I can learn
    Stu .
    my website
    my gallery

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shelley, being a wedding photographer is a tough gig, and combining it with that of daughter is even tougher. I know wedding photographers who, when they are invited to weddings as guests, leave their cameras at home. I say that as someone who has shot many weddings over the years.

But I realise there is no stopping you!

The concern I have is that you are putting too much pressure on yourself on what should be for you a happy, enjoyable day where you are primarily 'the daughter'.

I'd forget about hiring lenses. Use what you have and are used to using - you have heaps of gear, and I bet you know how to use it! Take a few shots at important moments, take a few shots of guests, bride and groom, and then go to the reception and enjoy yourself. You are a daughter who happens to have a good camera and knows how to use it, not a pro wedding photographer.

Have you considered hiring a pro for a couple of hours as a wedding present? Then anything you do is a bonus.

Google "Jeff Ascough" and have a look at one of the top wedding photographers says about shooting weddings. I'm not saying we are all Jeff Ascoughs or that we should be, but it is interesting, even inspirational. Note what lenses he uses!!
    Last edited by zolaxi; 27-03-2011 at 12:14pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 7D & shot a wedding recently with a 17-55F2.8 on my 7D & my old 18-200 F3-5-5.6 travel lens on my 350D. The 17-55 was amazing & just perfect on the 7D - I debated long & hard whether to purchase it or the 24-70, but firmly believe I've made the right choice. I haven't tried the 70-200 on a crop body, but I'd certainly be inclined to give it a go, but I agree with many of the previous posts - don't trial a new lens at a wedding for the first time. Stick with one you know like the back of your hand.

That's my 2c any way.
    Sarah
    www.sarahwhytephotography.com

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EOS 350D | Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Canon EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Shelley,

thought I'd add my bit. My wife and I did a beach wedding recently - so lots of out of doors shots too! We both use 50Ds as our primary cameras and I have a 40D as a backup. She used a 24-70mm lens while I used the 24-105mm and a 70-200mm on the 40D. This combination did really well - the main lens being used was the 24-105. The 24-70 was great for photos inside of the girls getting ready. The 70-200 was great for candids and the 24-105 for everything else.
    pod3009
    Canon 50D, Canon 40D, Canon EF-S 17-85, Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM, Canon EF-S 10-22, Tamron 90 mm f2.8, Sigma 150-500mm, Speedlite 430EXII

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12