Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7D and front focusing problems

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one quick comment: if ALL your lenses appear to be front-focusing, then its probably the body where the manufacturing tolerance has been exceeded. As such, you might not need to micro-adjust every lens, just adjust them all en masse (you can chose whether to adjust them individually or all together). Probably still worth checking them individually.
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pmack, it seems no amount of attempts at helping you in this forum will satisfy you; as you seem to have made your mind up that this camera is rubbish you will never be happy with it so maybe you should just get rid of the camera and get something else!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by etherial View Post
    pmack, it seems no amount of attempts at helping you in this forum will satisfy you; as you seem to have made your mind up that this camera is rubbish you will never be happy with it so maybe you should just get rid of the camera and get something else!
    I appreciate most of you who are trying to be helpfull, yet I have already had a thorough look through the menu system, and so far the advice I have been given has not shed any new light or new ideas to try. If someone can pin point the problem (camera, user, or other) I will be more than satisfied!

Applologies if i have been a little irritated by people saying it must be user error. I'm not rulling it out, but I have not yet found fault with my methods, or noticeable ways of improving.

And yes if I used this camera for work/business, I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago, at least to rule it out as the possible problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any member near you with another 7d, to rule out user error, change users and swap cameras
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree that it cannot be a micro focus adjust issue. You are using very narrow depth-of-field combos. I have found that getting micro focus adjust spot on makes a big improvement to focusing performance in dynamic or complex situations.

This adjustment can be done at home or by Canon. Given your level of unhappiness this camera just has to go to Canon.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to bump this thread, I noticed recently another user complaining of exactly the same issue, not apparent on his 18-200 but front focussing on a 70-200 L. I have a 7D, I haven't had a lot of time to fiddle yet but from the few (moving) shots I've taken it too seems to have front focus issues.

I'll reserve my judgment at this stage, until I've had a chance to check out thoroughly, but at a glance the focus seems to be a few feet ahead of the subject in all cases at least on a moving target, the results of a google search of front focus issues is somewhat worrying.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main culprit appears to be my 50mm lens, so i'm just gonna buy a new one.
    Micro adjustment works if i change it to something like +5 for 3 meters away, and then +15 for 20 meters away.
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...sing-distances
    So very annoying, you can't exactly change your microadjusment on the fly like that.
    Havn't had enough play with the 100-400L to evaluate it's performance on my body any further.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's giving you that much grief, send the lot back to canon.
    Keith.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    ... I have a 7D, I haven't had a lot of time to fiddle yet but from the few (moving) shots I've taken it too seems to have front focus issues. ...I'll reserve my judgment at this stage, until I've had a chance to check out thoroughly, but at a glance the focus seems to be a few feet ahead of the subject in all cases at least on a moving target, the results of a google search of front focus issues is somewhat worrying.
    It seems very common for people to complain about focusing with the 7D until they have learned how to use it more thoroughly. It happened to me too: I posted about it on AP too! Reality is, this camera does not work as well for a newbie as cheaper, less sophisticated models. You HAVE TO learn about it: and don't blame the camera for that, just knuckle down and get serious and master it.

Any persistent problems, take it straight back to Canon, with or without warranty. Just get it fixed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought a 7D and have found the focusing really hard to master...but im assuming the problem lies somewhere between the shutter button and the user... I must admit its been a bit of a let down, but Im hoping I can master it and its not a camera issue.
    Cheers
    Emma

Avoid shooting with a 12 gauge shotgun. Use a Canon instead.

Canon 5D, Canon 7D, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, 580EX Speedlight. Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so glad I bought a 60D..................

All my 6 lenses focus perfectly, straight out of the box.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 7D Settings for AF

Quote Originally Posted by triptych View Post
    I recently bought a 7D and have found the focusing really hard to master....
    Try this:
    AF mode = One Shot (prefocus each photo on desired focus point)
    AF area = Single Point Expansion, set to centre point
    AF drive when AF impossible = Off (C.FNIII/4 = 1)
    Disable 19-area AF mode (C.FNIII/6)
    Carry out Micro AF for all your lenses, or have Canon do it for best results. (C.FNIII/5)
    For flash, enable AF-assist beam firing (C.FNIII/11 = 0 (default))

Pressing the shutter all the way down quickly, without a pause to prefocus, will lead to many more failures.

Naturally the top two tips above will need to be adjusted for moving subjects or other specific shooting conditions, but the above settings make a good default.

Getting the Micro AF right seems to be important for this camera. If using this camera for paid assignments I recommend paying Canon to do it; it might need a combination of body and lens Micro AF adjustment, which is ... complex.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Arg; 01-05-2011 at 2:08pm. Reason: supplementation

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    I'm so glad I bought a 60D.................. All my 6 lenses focus perfectly, straight out of the box.
    Hi Benny, yes I get the impression the 60D is a very, very nice unit. It is a kind of a 'sweet spot' camera, better built and more capable than the entry level ranges, without the mess of controls and sheer 'technicality' of the big boys.

I was looking to buy a 60D last September but got squeezed between the release date and a scheduled trip to Africa in October, so ended up with a 7D. Man, that thing is a monster to master fully. I would not recommend it to someone who is not technically minded and able to attend in detail to the interaction between camera settings and photographic technique.

In fact the 7D reminds me of an episode of Top Gear where Richard gets to test drive an F1 racing car of the day. He *could not* get going from stationary, the clutch was so tricky. You would think he would eventually get it right, but IIRC he gave up and abandoned his test drive. The 7D has a similar ability, in the hands of users it wasn't meant for, to distract operators from their intention (photography) and redirect their efforts into camera testing and tuning!
    Last edited by Arg; 01-05-2011 at 2:09pm. Reason: supplementation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong Arg, I really like the 7D, and it was a wrenching experience to choose between the 2.
    I really liked the features the 7d has over the 60D, but then, I liked some of the stuff the 60D has over the 7D and these are what got me to buy the 60D.

Personally, I've gone off metal cased cameras, and I've had a few of them, as they get dented and scratched, and I do a lot of studio and tripod work, so the swinging screen is what won me over in the end.

I hope you can get over your woes with the focussing on the 7D, and then I'm sure you will really love it.
    Every new camera has a new learning curve, and the more complex the camera, the bigger the curve is and so is the pleasure it gives you.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put the focus to the back button as soon as I got my 7D, and I believe that I have never had any problems. I have the * button set to focus and the AF-On button set to exposure lock. Seems to work for me. In AI servo the thumb can just stay on the button and the camera is constantly maintining focus and press the trigger to take the shot. If the subject is not moving I can just press and release the button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had front focusing issue, I didn`t really click unitl someone pointed it out ot me after I posted photos of the 70-300L. Its more apprent with AI Servo.
    Further investigation showed that too many of my macro shots were front focused.

I have found that since I set it up as here see link. http://www.garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0310.html AI Servo works much better at tracking subjects.

The 50 1.8 is a pain it severely front focus for shots under a meter or so and better further distance.

These charts are useful http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2008...or-pentax.html

Basically my camera is set to +3 for all lenses now and the focus is spot on
    Last edited by Max; 02-05-2011 at 7:19pm.
    Canon Powershot S70, Sony A 100+twin lens kit and GN36 flash, Canon 7D 15-85, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Canon 70-300L, 1.4* Kenko PRO 300 DGX, Canon 430EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    I put the focus to the back button as soon as I got my 7D, and I believe that I have never had any problems. I have the * button set to focus and the AF-On button set to exposure lock. Seems to work for me. In AI servo the thumb can just stay on the button and the camera is constantly maintining focus and press the trigger to take the shot. If the subject is not moving I can just press and release the button.
    Same here. I love the 7D, and haven't had any problems with it at all.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12