Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CC required please.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CC required please.

Do these simple words strick fear into the hearts of the AP regs?

Lately I noticed that when I and or others have posted some pictures for C and C, there seems to be allot of people entering the shop, looking, touching, but then put the item back down and leave.

Are my imagies that bad? Granted I know some aren't great, but I have posted pictures looking for help and also for other peoples perspective on them.

What is it that is driving this?

I mightn't have the most techanical ability or the best gear (Best brand tho), but I do see it as a means to add what the picture does or does not for me.

So whats going on?
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been cc-ing when i see a picture, unless IMO it is great, i offer a hint that i think would improve. I am still new to cc-ing and fairly new to photography so sometimes forget to cc.
    I would love to have more cc on some of my photos too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happens to all of us. My last post had has 118 views and 12 comments(4 of those were from me) which equates to 7% of people looking will comment. Like yourself the only reason I post photos here is to have them picked apart. It very rarely happens. Most comments are simply encouraging.
    A lot of people feel uncomfortable criticising someone else's work.
    Chris

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post

...people entering the shop, looking, touching, but then put the item back down and leave...
    At time of my post there were 17 views and 1 reply. If I knew what you meant by this I could provide some better answer. But to hazard a guess at what you may mean, most people's images I see are past my humble comments. I usually manage some sort of reply when something is specifically in what I (think I) know about. I think you have fallen into that category in the past.
    Am.
    Edit: And one while writing.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 30-01-2011 at 8:05pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to say I don't look and don't touch, but it seems to be more and more frequent, Look and don't touch as to, look at an image have a feeling for or help techanically, but don't offer. Some take that and learn from it, or some people get a kickout of people liking what theve created.

I'm not suggesting we all should for every image posted, but it is comforting I feel for people that do post an image looking for/asking for CC to get given some form of advice or criticism, whether it be in the positive or the negative. It is also good to get others perspective on things, but thats a personal thing.

ameerat42, humble or not, if you offer what you see honestly, people should take it that way if they have asked for CC, don't you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i mostly only cc a photo from the field i partake in and sometimes that is a little comment of encouragement.
    Canon 6d, 7d , 40d, 100-400L, 24-105Lmm, 50mm 1.8, 28-135 and a sigma 18-200
    Aquatech underwater housing
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilpoulton/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, if we are asking for cc, we dont mind if it is positive or negative. that's the whole point. offer your opinion and suggestions to help us improve with our photography, after all, isn't that what the cc part of the forum is for??

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Happens on all forums. reply rate is generally 10% or less of the view rate.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im very new here and just as new at photography. I dont feel very comfortable CC'ing but I did manage to get my first couple done yesterday. Both on subjects which I feel most comfortable with. Most of the time however even if I like or dislike a photo I can't say why or how to make it better, so I stay quiet. I also found I didnt get as much feedback as I would have hoped which is frustrating, but I guess it goes both ways.
    Canon EOS 40D - Canon EFS 17-85mm f4-5.6 - Canon Macro EF 50mm f2.5
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thurston86/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am still learning by looking at others work & feedback. I am trying some C C'íng on topics I know a bit about.
    Barbara

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wandapics_photography

K-x. Sigma 18-125mm 1:3.8 - 5.6 DC HSM, Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 DL. Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash,
    MZ-60. Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like birds a lot, so I'll often look at a lot of posts in the bird section just to see the bird. If there is an obvious crop or reason why I like a photo, I'll say so. There are some great photos and "great shot" isn't worth posting. But, until I have my hands on a my DSRL (soon) and start posting images myself, I'm very loathed to be critical, until people can be CC what I do.
    Not sure if that addresses your question, but I guess, like me, people will look because it interests them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't vote on your Poll as it does not offer the choice that fits my behaviour.
    I look and touch and if I feel enough for the image I will comment honestly and I think not too harshly. If however I do not feel competent enough to comment then I will not. Having said that in the past others have taken umbrage at what I have written regarding another's images but I believe that they have missed the point of CCing.
    There are images on this site that do nothing for me and it is those images I quickly click out of. Two so far tonight.
    I believe a part of the problem is that you have to look at the thread to view the image and it is only then that you will see the image and wether or not it is of interest to you.
    Peter.

Some of my photo's are at www.peterking.id.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked "I prefer to LOOK but not TOUCH" It's the closest to the truth with me.. In all honest I am not good at speaking (READ: typing) out sometimes, Once I am comfortable I will be happy with being myself then you might see more comments and CC. It's not that I don't want too, it's just that I write it up and often feel the need to explain myself.. It gets long winded and I get put off from posting it.

I'll sometimes back myself into a corner and will post CC, but for the most part I am a lurker and I do just that.. Lurk..
    I will try to post more CC So if you see me around and feel that I'm slacking feel free to PM me a kick up the backside

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to give honest CC .

I do find that when CC given sometimes the OP doesn't reply either negative or positive and I then wonder "why bother"

One example was 111 lookers and I CC at about 50 views and that was it.

Derek
    Last edited by Derek-C; 01-02-2011 at 8:27am.
    Pentax K-3 and some Sigma lens's

CC always welcome but please ask first.Thank you, Derek

Trust in God,but tie up your Camel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think alot of people new to photography, myself included, feel a little uncomfortable cc'ing at times as we unsure how to comment. I know that we should comment on what we see in the photo; however, we feel that there may be a number of key elements in the photo that we are yet to grasp.

I mainly cc on somebodies photo if I have had the pleasure of meeting that person and they know where I am at with my photography learning curve.

I have also just posted some photos of my son off to prep school and whilst I have had 23 views I have only received on comment.
    Last edited by ctorry; 01-02-2011 at 8:50am.
    Canon 450D with kit lenses 15-55mm and 55-250mm.
    Beginner wanting to improve.
    Thanks for taking the time to review my photo's any constructive comments appreciated.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Derek and ctorry, This seems to be a trend at the mo, whether it's due to allot of newer members or whether people feel that their level of skill might'nt be up to a so called standard "exceptable" to be able to comment, but what is the level or standard I wonder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about this one last night and I feel that a simple change in wording might invite more responses and perhaps generate less fear.

I have always made a distinction between using the word "Critique" and the word "Feedback". I prefer to use "Critique" as little as possible.

Critique can be related to criticism or someone being critical and can have some negative connotations for some people. The word "Constructive" is added for specification and I think people still focus on the "Criticism" factor and might not see the "Constructive" of it so much..

Feedback is something that is more often viewed as coming from a place of positive support and assistance in helping someone improve.

Yes. It's just a word and in my experience with teaching and personal training I have found that I can relax the paradigms a bit and allow people to feel safer in asking for it and in-turn offering also.

Perhaps "CC - Constructive Critique" could be "PF - Positive Feedback" instead. Then it's very clear where our comments to one another are coming from.

My Two-Bob's Worth.
    Dan

Canon EOS 550D Gripped - Twin Lens Kit - Speedlite 430EX II
    CC and EDITS with info invited. Feed my brain!
    "don't drink from the mainstream"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctorry View Post
    I think alot of people new to photography, myself included, feel a little uncomfortable cc'ing at times as we unsure how to comment. I know that we should comment on what we see in the photo; however, we feel that there may be a number of key elements in the photo that we are yet to grasp.

I mainly cc on somebodies photo if I have had the pleasure of meeting that person and they know where I am at with my photography learning curve.

I have also just posted some photos of my son off to prep school and whilst I have had 23 views I have only received on comment.
    There are 100's of ways to comment on a photo - just say what you think about it - it might be just "i like the colours", or "im not sure about the birds claws" ..... what you feel is personal to you but an insight into how people react to every image by every viewer
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw down CC if I think I can offer a different angle on something, moreso than whether I can help 'improve' an image; i.e. not to say that my CC would help to make the image better necessarily, but hopefully it gives the person something to think about and try next time

+1 to what Kiwi said above as well
    Last edited by Namus; 01-02-2011 at 1:12pm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gamble View Post

Perhaps "CC - Constructive Critique" could be "PF - Positive Feedback" instead. Then it's very clear where our comments to one another are coming from.

My Two-Bob's Worth.
    Perhaps it should be CF - Constructive Feedback. Not all feedback needs to be positive. Generally I agree with your post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast