User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I buy a camera body only and then get a lens or a full basic kit?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks david. ATM I'm holding off and eyeing off some 2nd hand lens. Since the place i was going to buy through aren't around atm It gives me the chance to try and snare a nice 2nd hand lens and then buy a body. Will see how the weekend goes and then next week. But if I haven't found anything I like by the time the seller returns I'll buy a basic kit. It's been many years since I touched any sort of SLR. I'll be brand new. Starting all over again. Maybe some of it will come back to me. I hope!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I took the plunge last Monday. Bought a lens from a very local seller. Unused from a kit and the camera body from my planned grey seller on ebay. Wouldn't you know it 8 hours later the seller had reduced the price back to what it was 2 weeks ago which meant I could have bought the kit for the same price i paid buying the lens separate and then would have been covered by their "online" warranty. never mind. Lens is here though I have no way to test it until the camera arrives. Hopefully that will be some time this week.
    I also bought a couple of uv filters and some other basic filters and am now looking for a bag to contain everything. Thanks everyone for the advice received so far. I'm sure I will have plenty more questions to ask. Yes I will read the "beginners guides and help threads first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the purchase. I assume you went with the 550D?

C.J.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure did. Though at this stage I haven't plans for video it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice and what lens did you end up getting?

Keep us posted on your progress after you receive the body.

I am also at the beginning of my DSLR journey but still stuck at the 'deciding what to buy' stage.

C.J.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18-55 IS same as I would a have gotten if I'd bought the kit. I'm gong to be on the watch out later on for something for wider and maybe a macro.
    Last edited by kexkez; 14-02-2011 at 9:45am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting discussion here. I've been looking at the canon 5d mk II and wondering about the usefulness of the 25-105mm L series lens that comes in the kit. I have always been led to believe that kit lenses were crap but surely an L series lens can't be too bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with the 24-105 f4 L , Great alround lens , Especially on a 5D full frame
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Nothing wrong with the 24-105 f4 L , Great alround lens , Especially on a 5D full frame
    I have a 24-105L that I bought as my everyday lens, and it's really good.
    The autofocus is almost instantaneous in reasonable light, and it takes wonderful photos.
    Bought with the 5D, it's relatively cheap too.
    It isn't one of Canon's most popular L lenses for nothing.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I bought a 40D body only and then bought a grey market 24-105mm. It has given excellent service, and as I use it for photos for my magazine articles I have been able to write it off on tax. Just an added bonus. I have had a look at a few kit lenses over the years and have not really been impressed with them.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kit lenses are fine for people that want to find out if they really really like photography and the focal lengths they lean towards.

Once you figure those 2 things out you'll be able to decided if you need any more lenses and we can better advise you what to get!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kexkez View Post
    As the topic suggests. I'm wondering if I should just buy a camera body and look at spending the extra $ on a better 2nd hand lens than the basic lens that comes in the starter kit. I'd hate to spend money on a camera with lens included and be frustrated with it pretty much from the start. Previously ( as in a past single life 30+ years ago I'd only used a zoom lens and a stand lens on my slr) Yes it's been that long.

I see you get a 15-55 IS lens with the start kits.
    I'm not really sure what I will be using the camera for yet but it will be mostly landscape and sky not portrait and some close up ( nature/garden etc) pics.
    I was originally looking at a 450D but am now leaning towards either the 500D or at a stretch the 550 body.

What do forum members suggest?
    I would buy with the kit (the 15-85 would be quite a good starting lens).As you take pictures and learn you will find the lenses limitations and be able to buy other lenses that fulfll your needs.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kexkez View Post
    18-55 IS same as I would a have gotten if I'd bought the kit. I'm gong to be on the watch out later on for something for wider and maybe a macro.
    you know theres nothing wrong with starting with a kit lens and as digital rev said get the body and the kit lens is only $40...

it all comes down to the user. the more experience you gain the better your images will get. follow the link bellow to a photo i took with a d90 and 18-55mm kit lens.... there is little wrong with this photo and it focuses close too for closeup (not macro tho) stuff. the shot is not cropped.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...reen-tree-frog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12