Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Upgrade to what???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrade to what???

Any opinions welcome here.
    I have a 5 yr old D50 (remember those, all 6.1 mp of them) and a host of non VR Nikon lenses.
    I intend to ugrade to reinvent my dormant hobby of freeelance 4wd and travel magazine submissions for publication.

Have read many thousands of words comparing D7000, D300s, D90 and even, heaven forbid, Canon gear. To be honest at present it appears the D90 is old and on the outer, the D300s is a fantastic semi-pro deal but on its last legs and the D7000 is the new kid but has major white balance and exposure control issues.

I would appreciate any opinions from those who shoot similiarly to myself, particularly those who do lods of landscape work.

regards

Jarra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not seen any reports on d7000 wb and exposure levels ?

If you are a sport shooter in sometimes rough terrain the current value if the d300s is hard to beat. It's price has plummeted after the d7000 and ive also heard they have cut production of it right back as the d400 is due soon

Otherwise the d7000 looks really nice as an allrounder

The d90 represents great value too

So, in summary all are a big jump up from the d50... And at the respective price points all are valid choices
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarra View Post
    Any opinions welcome here.
    I have a 5 yr old D50 (remember those, all 6.1 mp of them) and a host of non VR Nikon lenses.
    Don't get rid of the D50 and any lenses, the camera is still capable of excellent photos and totally forget needing any more than 6 mp for online or magazine submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarra View Post
    the D7000 is the new kid but has major white balance and exposure control issues
    The D7000 sounds like the ideal option for you if mated with good lenses. As for the white balance and exposure issues ---- I think you are reading too many internet posts from people who really aren't up to speed on camera usage in general let alone being able to use an advanced body.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jarra, I own a D7000 and I can tell you without a doubt that it does not have any issue with exposure and/or white balance. I'd hazard a guess and say that the complaints are coming from one or two individuals who may not be in full command of their own gear.
    <Impressive gear listing goes here>

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also a D7000 owner - no WB or exposure issues here. (Actually, I find the wb excellent.) I'm biased but I reckon it is a great camera. If you've got the money and time to wait, the d300s successor could be well worth a look though.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies folks. Must admit I had read so much form so many different sources the head was spinning.

regards

Jarra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes think that all the internet posts that are rubbishing a lot of Nikon products, i.e. the d7000 white balance, etc, issue, are probably non-Nikon owners who are most likely angry that they didn't buy a Nikon!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will probably be at least December and maybe one full year before you can actually get your hands on a D400.

A smaller, lighter camera would be better for travel and hiking.
    I would buy the D7000 now for half the price and keep the D50 for backup.
    I am now using mine with an AF-S Nikkor 80-200 for EVENT shooting in low light.
    The extra Pixels will be an advantage for Magazine Publication.

Be sure to get a good MonoPod or TriPod. 16mp show motion blur more better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "On its last legs" indeed
    I dont agree one little bit, in fact unless you want to go full frame (FX) why would you get shot of a perfectly good piece of equipment?
    As for the '6.1's my 'Old' D70 is a great light weight and depending on what glass its wearing performs admirably in most conditions.
    I've never used a D50 so can't comment on its performance but I reckon if it still works then upgrade the glass.
    I still have and use a very early P&S; an Olympus C-1Zoom (1.3mp) it can't do what my DSLR's do but I carry it and use it.
    Whats that old saying? oh yes I remember "many a fine tune played on an old fiddle".
    Last edited by Blueywa; 12-02-2011 at 6:42pm.