User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Another problem with my D90, dead pixel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another problem with my D90, dead pixel?

At this point I`m very disappointed with the camera, first it was the flash not closing and 2 cracks on the body after 20 cm drop inside the camera bag, then, one year later, the viewfinder LCD froze for ever and needed replacement. Finally today I received back from service (from the viewfinder problem) and I took some photos for making sure there was no dust on the sensor because of the service, result? No dust but found what I believe it`s a dead pixel.

I put two screen shots to see if someone can confirm what is this, is there a longer guarantee for the sensor or is it just the usual 1 year? my camera has already 2 . I checked some photos taken before service and its also there so it has nothing to do...

Photo has 4288x2848 pixels, the first is a 1:1 capture in my 1280x800 Macbook screen and the second one is a 11:1 zoom.

Any thoughts welcomed...

regards
    Last edited by Patagonia; 28-01-2011 at 12:45pm.
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am fairly sure the D90 has 'pixel mapping', check your manual, and run it. Then let us know the results!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patagonia View Post
    Any thoughts welcomed...
    The flash closing problem has been well detailed and is a very easy fix that is explained here. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-down-SOLUTION

I am not sure what you are referring to with the "viewfinder lcd" but at least that seems to have been rectified properly for you.
    Dead / stuck / hot pixels can sometimes be re mapped by Nikon service, if the camera is under warranty they usually do it for free, if not they can charge to do it as dead or stuck pixels are purely a very common thing in many lcd devices and with cameras many people simply clone them out in post processing if they are that obvious at normal viewing.
    No manufacturer is ever going to cover damage done by dropping and breaking the camera body and if it has received enough of a shock from the drop to crack housings it may have also damaged internal parts. If you are unlucky enough to drop and damage a camera then you simply have to accept that it is your fault for any damage that occurred.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be time to upgrade to the D7000....
    AKA Andrew P.
    Gear: Nikon D7100, Nikon D90, Nikon 18-105mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Sigma 150-500mm APO DG OS, , Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB400 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, Nikon DR-6, Panasonic FH20, and all sorts of stuff

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments, I´l check the manual for the mapping issue and post my findings

I posted the viewfinder issue a while ago, the LCD with the exposure info you see below the viewfinder was the one that failed, replacement costed US$120+labour. And yes, I know I cannot complain about the drop, but I previously had a 300d (Digital rebel) for 6 years and never had an issue with it even though it received much more punishment than the D90...a monkey even had a poo on it once . That along the ridiculously expensive Nikon service here in Chile (they charged me US$240 for solving the flash issue, thank god I found AP thread before surrendering to the service!!!) is what has me disappointed...but maybe it was just bad luck and just "got the black sheep of the heard"

regards

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, before a read the manual I googled for "mapping dead pixels" and this is what I found

- Nikon does not have a tool for remapping in camera or in NX2 software...has to be taken for service AU$ 50 in Australia
    - Light room automatically cleans dead/hot pixels from raw files...just tested it and it works!

I took some new nef photos and opened them in LR. Zoomed the first one at maximum possible and the dead pixel was not there, then moved to next photo without moving the zoom (it shows the same spot as on the previous photo) and the dead pixel was there at first but after LR finished "calculating" it just vanished in front of my eyes, at max magnification you cannot tell anything strange.

So problem solved and thanks all for the advice...supose I will not move to the D7000 Seastorm
    Last edited by Patagonia; 28-01-2011 at 2:25pm.

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lightroom... hmm...

glad ur problem is solved

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)