Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Go O'L Grey Market Debate.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post

A big problem we have over here is the cost of the overheads here in Oz.
    It costs about the same to rent a warehouse in Sydney or in the US, with the US probably being a bit cheaper, and the minimum, legal, wage rate in the USA is only $7.50 per hour (as against $19 or so here),
    Ummm, not exactly correct. The minimum wage for an ADULT (over 18) in Australia in 2011 is $569.90 per week (before tax), or $15 per hour (as rounded to the nearest 10 cents). Australian's aged over 13 years and 8 months can seek work with most employers, and their rate does not have to meet this $15.00 per hour minimum, so it is quite easy to get people working for less than $15.00 an hour.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if a grey can send stock from HK, then the Oz distributor can send stock from HK at the same price.
    so you add GST, postage to retailer, some retailer stocking fees.

since retailers hardly stock more than 2 copies, I don't know why the cost is so great.

anyway, at least for Tokina you can use a Licensed dealer OVERSEAS. Some brands you can't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased a Nikon GP-1 unit for an overseas supplier. With UPS freight it came to about Aust $240. The best I could find from a reputable dealer in Australia was about $450. It is grey market but I am willing to take a chance on 12 months warranty for the $200 saving.

I also dropped into a well-known store in Canberra today. A two-axis Hama hotshoe bubble level was $52! Give me a break. I bought three-axis level in London for less than $10.

I am all for supporting local stores but not if the price differences are 100% or more.

Having said that, there are some great stores in Melbourne that I frequent and buy the odd lens from at reasonable prices.
    Last edited by Philip Smith; 06-04-2011 at 9:59pm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12