User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Pro of the future - what lenses should I have AF or AF-S?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pro of the future - what lenses should I have AF or AF-S?

Hi everyone,

I'm a learner photographer hoping to one day make my living from photography. I'm currently using the D5000 which came with two zoom lenses. I recently went to purchase a prime lens and nearly passed out at the price! Particularly the difference between the price of the AF-S lenses compared to AF.

I guess before I sink a whole lot of money in to lenses (which I know will have to be done) I'd like some advice on whether I should persevere with my D5000 and buy the AF-S lenses - or cut my losses and replace the body for one that uses AF lenses.

Which lenses do you find better?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Keep what you have now and LEARN. You need to learn how to use a camera in manual mode, how to compose, expose and process your photos. I would say there is at least 3-5 years between being a beginner and even considering becoming a Pro. By that time, there will be new camera bodies, upgraded versions of lenses.

So use what you have, learn your craft and in a few years look at what is needed to be a Pro. Enjoy the kit you have now and make it work for you!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest saving your money and getting to know what you have got first. Once you know the things you have you will understand the differences and what they mean to you.

You say perservere with your D5000, it sounds like you are having trouble with it? New lenses won't make you a better photographer. Post some images and get learning. Worry about spending money later....you will soon be on a slippery slope ify ou really start to enjoy it!

What Generes are you in to? What do you like to photograph?

And welcome.
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pro kit will cost about $20000 minimum, just so you know
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean I can't be a pro tomorrow? Curses!!

This is good advice... I actually love my D5000 - so might just bite the bullet and buy the lenses I need to keep learning, and hope that a lottery win comes in when I upgrade to Pro equipment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree to what has bee said before. I personally was looking at a good zoom lens and realized It was just nonsense, some ideas: in 5 years:

- You can be robbed
    - You can brake or damage your lenses
    - You can give up photography
    - Lenses will go down in price and for the actual price you will probably be able to get a improved optics lens with a 20th generation image stabilization lens instead of a 2nd gen. of today...
    - If decide to go pro you can always sell your gear for the upgrade.
    - etc, etc...

pd: if money is not an issue discard al I wrote and just get all the best gear you can find
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patagonia View Post
    Agree to what has bee said before. I personally was looking at a good zoom lens and realized It was just nonsense, some ideas: in 5 years:

- You can be robbed
    - You can brake or damage your lenses
    - You can give up photography
    - Lenses will go down in price and for the actual price you will probably be able to get a improved optics lens with a 20th generation image stabilization lens instead of a 2nd gen. of today...
    - If decide to go pro you can always sell your gear for the upgrade.
    - etc, etc...

pd: if money is not an issue discard al I wrote and just get all the best gear you can find
    Ah yes! The pathway to professionalism. Well said.
    Photojournalist | Filmmaker | Writer | National Geographic | Royal Geographic

D3x and other gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Keep what you have now and LEARN. You need to learn how to use a camera in manual mode, how to compose, expose and process your photos. I would say there is at least 3-5 years between being a beginner and even considering becoming a Pro. By that time, there will be new camera bodies, upgraded versions of lenses.

So use what you have, learn your craft and in a few years look at what is needed to be a Pro. Enjoy the kit you have now and make it work for you!
    My definition of a "PRO" is someone who is paid to do something.
    Becoming a PRO does not mean you are good or even better than most.

Best thing you can do is get a job working with a real good and profitable PRO Photographer.
    The equipment you need really depends on what you are going to shoot.

I am an EVENT Photographer who nearly always uses the best "top of the line" equipment.
    I do not have the most profitable business, but I sure enjoy my equipment.
    The ones using D70 bodies and a single lens made more money.
    Now days it would be a D7000 and probably a Nikkor 28-300 or 80-200 lens.

Whether you get AF or AF-S depends on the camera and what you shoot.
    The new 80-200 AF is supposed to be nearly as fast as the old AF-S, but will not AutoFocus on some cameras.
    Most Landscape and Studio shooters do not even use AutoFocus, so image quality and effect is much more important for them.
    Last edited by RRRoger; 31-01-2011 at 4:06am.