Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to charge...? If at all..?

Hi all,

First post on here - long time reader though I'll try to keep the background story as succinct as possible:

Basically, I volunteer my photographic time at various events for an organisation or two. From there, what I typically do is post-process the photos and send them in, free-of-charge, for the organisation I volunteer for - I have no issue with this and they are extremely happy with the shots I take. I don't watermark these, but they always give me the appropriate credits whenever they use them (either on their website or in print) - I'm happy with that.

Lately, I've had a number of people approach me at these events asking the standard 'How do I go about obtaining copies of your photos?'. It's not entirely clear whether these people would like to pay or not. I have the standard response of 'Please contact the organisation and they'll forward you copies'. I'm not sure if this forwarding is happening.

I'm now thinking of charging people (NOT the organisation) a small fee for a full-size DIGITAL ONLY copy of my shots. I can easily ask the organisation to stop forwarding photos (if indeed they are - I've sent an email looking into this) and they will respect my wishes. The process I'm thinking of is something along the lines of:

- Process photos with heavy water-marking.

- Either send small copy via email to prospective buyer OR simply post up on photo-sharing site (Flickr etc.).

- Following small payment, provide copy (via email) of full-sized copy with only small corner watermark (or none at all).

Now, this organisation doesn't have the marketing or promotional space to use all of the photos I send them. Out of, say, 200 shots, they might use around a dozen at most. This leaves a number of photos left over which go unused and I figure I should investigate what I can do with these.

Some of the type of shots I take can be found here (these are unrelated shots from uni): http://www.flickr.com/photos/monk_ph...7625105906440/

Note: I'm not saying I'm pro (definitely not), and I'm upgrading my gear constantly and working hard to get better in terms of composition. These are just a guide only. Typically though, I shoot sports the most and some functions.

===================================

My questions to you:

1. Does this sound reasonable? I'm in a moral quandary as I don't want to seem like I'm taking advantage (sort of), however, it'd be nice to earn something small on the side from the shots. I'd also like to point out that I'm also actually undertaking volunteering tasks as well during the days I work for them (e.g. officiating, record-keeping, registration), so I'm definitely contributing to the running of the day as well.

2. Does my workflow (outlined in the bullet points above) sound ideal?

3. Most important one: what is an ideal price to charge for digital only copies of a shot? Size-wise we're looking at anything from 1500x1200 to upwards of 2500x2500 (depending on cropping). This is most important because idk how much to charge; too cheap and I'm doing the whole industry a disservice - too much and I lose the respect of the organisation and the people I take pictures of....what is a good trade-off price point? I know it's all relative, but where to start....

4. Is there anything you think can be improved or that I need to seriously consider before I proceed?

===================================

I'm new to all of this so please don't start with the 'omg ur an idiot, why haven't you considered this?' stuff. I don't know squat and I'm happy to admit that.

Note: Also, I'm NOT asking for CC on my shots. If I want that, I'll ask for it. I've specified my question/s as much as possible so if you could please keep it on task it'd be most welcome

Any assistance you can provide would be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading everyone
    Last edited by Namus; 26-01-2011 at 9:23pm.