Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Scan old Prints or negatives?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just got one of those scanners from Target (gives a resolution of 5184*3360) and it scans nicely - I think I've blown one image up to aroubnd 8*10 with no problems but I wouldn't go any higher than that cause noise starts to creep in then. My only issue with it is that there's very little control over brightness and exposure in scanner.

I think the best thing to do is just have a muck around with it - you could try scanning at different resolutions, maybe print a couple out on A4 in grayscale just to check the noise level and resolution and go from there. As long as the film is clean you shouldn't have any problems. The only thing I can suggest is if you're scanning medium format film (ie. 120) close all the other programs on your computer as those scans have the potential to be equivalent to a 100MP digital image...

If you like, check out my flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/exzact - there're a heap of 35mm film scans on there from originals in true and chromogenic black and white, c-41 colour...

There's also a program called Vuescan which a lot of members of the I Shoot Film group on Flickr use and is supposed to be really good, the only thing is make sure your scanner is compatible with it before you download/buy it.
    Last edited by geck; 28-01-2011 at 11:41am.