User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Suction cup mounts - Fat Gecko, anyone used it? Alternatives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suction cup mounts - Fat Gecko, anyone used it? Alternatives?

I spotted the Fat Gecko dual suction cup mount at my local camera store yesterday. I've been looking around for user opinions and haven't found any yet (apart from the manufacturers web site).

Product link – http://www.delkin.com/products/acces...fat-gecko.html

Has anyone seen these around? Has anyone used one?

It says it will support 8 pounds (3.6kg), I was thinking of mounting a D700+16-35 VR on it which weighs about 2kg combined, so well within the scope. I just wanted to to a few car rolling shots to supplement some work I've been doing. I don't indend to use it at speed, around walking pace would be enough for what I want.

Camera House want $199, VideoGuys.com.au around $130 delivered and they can be had for around $110 out of the US.

Are there any alternate options people know of?
    Adam.

AGSPhotos.com

Using Nikon & PS CS5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I am more than fairly familiar with suction mounts. I use a Camzilla:
    www.camzilla.com.au

Mainly I use them for an effective dashcam with a HD video, but I have done some alternative lightning shots from a passenger seat using the mount system with a D300 and a Sigma 10-20 (and a 24-70).
    Even the single mounts can hold a DSLR within reason, but 2-3 point suction mounts are definitely going to be better balanced and more reliable. You can certainly get better prices than the ones listed if you order from these guys direct
    John
    Nikon D800, D700, Nikkor 14-24 F2.8, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.8D, 70-200mm F2.8 VRII, Manfrotto 190XB with Q5 PM Head,
    SB-900,600, portable strobist setup & Editing on an Alienware M14x with LR4 and CS5 and a Samsung XL2370 Monitor.

Stormchasing isn't a hobby...its an obsession.
    For my gallery and photography: www.emanatephotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive previously owned/used one of these Fat Geckos.
    During the time i used it, one of the suctions (luckily not both) came lose once whilst i was driving around.
    I found that even with a UWA lens, its still not positioned far enough for rolling car rig shots where a boom would be better.
    Canon User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This link recommends a few different parts: http://www.diyphotography.net/take-c...alized-car-rig

Not sure if that's what you're after; the F1000's are highly recommended by the guys I know who've used them

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebadir View Post
    Yeah, I am more than fairly familiar with suction mounts. I use a Camzilla:
    www.camzilla.com.au
    Thanks. The Triple Suction Mount Assembly looks good, but the 'arm' the camera mounts on doesn't look very long. Do you think it would be possible to make something longer (I was thinking about 8-10")?

Quote Originally Posted by R1titan View Post
    one of the suctions (luckily not both) came lose once whilst i was driving around.
    I don't plan on driving around with it, just low-speed shots. Something to keep in mind though, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Namus View Post
    Not sure if that's what you're after; the F1000's are highly recommended by the guys I know who've used them
    It isn't really (at this stage), but thankyou. Any idea where to get the F1000's locally?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the fat gecko and it is brilliant...I have had my DSLR on the side of my car...

This was taken with my D300s and 18-200mm lens.

Day1-3 by clubmini_vic, on Flickr

I have never had any problems with it and I think what ever it is attached to would come off before it. In fact it has been sat on my windscreen for months. Great piece of kit.

The arm is very short though and it could do with a bigger ball fitting. But generally excellent.

Hope this helps.
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod