User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: An introduction to filters please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An introduction to filters please!

Can anyone help with a brief explanation of what each kind of filter does, when (and when not) to use each one, which types to get and the difference between cheap and expensive ones? I've looked in the learning plan and searched the threads but can't see any general introduction to filters.

Thanks!
    Always in two minds whether to capture the moment or just savour it...
    350D + kit lenses just upgraded to 5D2, 24-105mm, 50mm 1.4 and bags of hope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a question , What type of Photography are you interested in ? And type of lens do you intend to use
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beginners guides to filters:

Uv - do not need them
    Cpl - very handy
    Nd - good for waterfalls
    Gnd - good for sunsets and sunrises
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Landscapes, nature, wildlife and birds. Lenses are as described in my signature plus I would like to get a 100-400 when I can afford it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are literally hundreds of filters, so giving you an overview of them would take up more time and space than most members would bother typing.

Polariser : Reduces Glare, Increases Contrast, Darkens Skies, Stop reflections on shiny surfaces (glass, water etc)
    Neutral Density : Darkens the entire scene. Good for waterfalls, darkening daylight shots to stop over-exposure
    Graduated Neutral Density : Dark at top of filter gradually dropping to clear at the bottom. Great for landscapes to darken the skies

Other

Coloured filters, change the colour of the scene. You can get say a sunset graduated one to 'create' an orangish look to the sky (though they tend to look fake), or a blue one to add more blue to the sky.

Fog filters, star filters, spot filters, rarely used these days as they can be reproduced in photoshop etc.

Go HERE and download the PDF 100 page catalogue to see a HUGE range of filters, if you are interested in what is out there
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-01-2011 at 4:00pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this. Can I ask a couple of follow up questions:

UV- is this still useful as a lens protector?
    Neutral Density - what density level is best for general use?
    Graduated Neutral Density - these don't seem to come in circular filters, why not?
    Price difference between basic and professional (3 to 4 times for pro filters) - do you actually see the difference and is there any reason for an amateur not to get just the basic version?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. No
    2. ND8
    3. They do, but they are very expensive. Look at Cokin P for good value
    4. Yes and no. The better you are the more you see, just like lenses.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For nature, wildlife and birds - I can't see that you will need a filter, ever. For landscapes a CPL is handy, but you can easily survive without any others. Best to spend your hard earned on lenses rather than filters, at least until you decide that you have a real need. Mine sit in a cupboard gathering dust.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camerashy View Post
    Thanks for this. Can I ask a couple of follow up questions:

UV- is this still useful as a lens protector?
    Neutral Density - what density level is best for general use?
    Graduated Neutral Density - these don't seem to come in circular filters, why not?
    Price difference between basic and professional (3 to 4 times for pro filters) - do you actually see the difference and is there any reason for an amateur not to get just the basic version?
    1. I've had one isolated episode where I dropped the 24-70mm from 1mm onto hard ground and the UV filter smashed but the lens ok - that doesn't mean I condone its abuse though :P - usually when I take off the filters in front of my lens, its to let more light in (eg wedding reception) - having another piece of glass in front of the lens blocks that.
    2. agree with ND8
    3. I would STRONGLY advise against getting circular GNDs - the purpose of them is to darken certian parts of the image and if you get a screw-on circular one, the line of graduation is going to be at the same midline position for every shot you take which imposes limitations on composition.
    4. I'd start with basic stuff and if you find you're getting limited by it, move up.

I primarily shoot landscapes and the CPL is on the camera by default, so if I were to advise you on any ONE filter, that would be it.
    I even leave it on for bright outdoor wedding shoots - the colours are brought out, glare reduced etc.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread... I guess I have been given a lot of misinformation. Thanks for sharing, all!