User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Am I covered by warranty for this type of issue??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I covered by warranty for this type of issue??

Hi all,

Today I screwed on my Hoya Pro filter (circular polariser) and then went to attach some more filters onto the front by screwing them in. What happended was the Hoya filter came apart into 3 bits. A ring, a ring with the glass in it and a peice of brass/copper. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and I have only used the filter a hand full of times. It didn't "break", just the parts came apart.

So I emailed the retailer and told them what happened. They forwarded it onto some other comapny and they responded and just said:

"Normally the cause of the problem is not cover under warranty; you can
    have it send for fee paying non-warranty repair.

You can try to fix it by turn the wire ring to tighten the glass."

Now, I would have thought that a peice of equipment falling apart should be covered under warranty and on the Choice website it says:

What protection does a statutory warranty give me?

For GOODS, basic statutory warranty rights include that the goods are:

* Of merchantable or acceptable quality — work the way you’d expect it to, given the price and how the goods are described. Goods should not have any hidden defects. If any exist, they should be pointed out prior to sale
    * Fit for purpose — does the job the customer told the retailer, or that is implied
    * Matches description or sample — must match any sample presented either in person, on the labelling or packaging, or in any ads
    Is this something you think should be covered or am I fighting a losing battle?

Cheers

John
    boggo.

feel free to fix my shots and send them back to me!

canon 5d2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it should be covered in this instance. Hope mine stays together.....after dropping it onto stone..twice.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be covered if this occurred during the warranty period AND your use of the filter was within its intended methods of use, that is, you did not use it in any way that was not intended for it to be used by the manufacturer. In such a case you have a consumer claim against the manufacturer.

If you were told by the retailer (at the time of purchase) that it could be used the way you ended up using it, then, even if it is outside the manufacturer's limits of how it can be used, you probably have a consumer claim against the retailer. You should call and speak to the Dept. of Fair Trading.
    Last edited by mongo; 24-01-2011 at 9:09pm.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask how old the filter is, or more so when you bought it.

Seriously, for the sake of customer service/ relations, had you bought it from me, I would have just said - "bring it in, and I will replace it"

Warranty issues aside, poor form from your retailer
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can prove that you have not used excessive force or you can provide evidence that the material was faulty than you should receive replacement of the item.
    If this is a ISO accredit company ask for the official NCR report and manufacturing control document.
    Other than that you have no chance only make it clear to them that the reputations damage is greater than if they supply you with a replacement.
    IF YOU HAVE EVIDENCE AND THEY DON'T WANT TO REPLACE IT LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU REFER THE MATTER TO THE OMBUDSMAN

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought it in April 2010, so it is only 9 months old. I would have screwed it on five times during that time (I wish more though but dont have the time!)

I think I am going to reply to them with the quote from the choice website and see if that changes their mind.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Siggi,

How could I prove I did not use excessive force?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask to speak to the manager
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boggo View Post
    Siggi,

How could I prove I did not use excessive force?
    if it is a straight crack not a ribbed cut than it is a material fault, also if the thread is not damaged than it should not have come from excessive force.
    Cheers,
    Siggi

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day boggo

It sounds to me as tho it has simply 'came undone' and is a simple 2-minute job for 'someone' to put back together - only tools needed a small Jeweller's Screwdriver
    If you can't do it yourself, the shop should be able to do it while-u-wait

IF you do it yourself,
    1- place glass into main threaded ring
    2- place 'brass' slightly-bent bit onto glass in main threaded ring (this ring is in fact a small spring to hold everything tight)
    3- gently screw in loose thin ring into main threaded ring and use Jeweller's Screwdriver in each of the 2 tiny slots to lock it into place

I don't want to sound too 'off', but this is a small user-maintenance item that 'every' photographer needs to be aware of [like oil & water & tyres on your car]
    May I suggest that you - and others reading this- if you haven't already got a small Jeweller's Screwdriver kit in your camera bag go & get one today. You have so many lenses, filters, bits of camera that have these small screws and bitz, that a 3-monthly check and tighten may be needed ...

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/