Hi all,

Today I screwed on my Hoya Pro filter (circular polariser) and then went to attach some more filters onto the front by screwing them in. What happended was the Hoya filter came apart into 3 bits. A ring, a ring with the glass in it and a peice of brass/copper. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and I have only used the filter a hand full of times. It didn't "break", just the parts came apart.

So I emailed the retailer and told them what happened. They forwarded it onto some other comapny and they responded and just said:

"Normally the cause of the problem is not cover under warranty; you can
have it send for fee paying non-warranty repair.

You can try to fix it by turn the wire ring to tighten the glass."

Now, I would have thought that a peice of equipment falling apart should be covered under warranty and on the Choice website it says:

What protection does a statutory warranty give me?

For GOODS, basic statutory warranty rights include that the goods are:

* Of merchantable or acceptable quality — work the way you’d expect it to, given the price and how the goods are described. Goods should not have any hidden defects. If any exist, they should be pointed out prior to sale
* Fit for purpose — does the job the customer told the retailer, or that is implied
* Matches description or sample — must match any sample presented either in person, on the labelling or packaging, or in any ads
Is this something you think should be covered or am I fighting a losing battle?

Cheers

John