Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Lightroom 3 publish

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightroom 3 publish

Is anyone here using the lightroom 3 publish to flickr or another hosting service?
    I've been using it for a little while and it saves time in the export workflow but it find that if I do anything to the photo again in LR it causes problems if that photo is linked to another site like this one. The link drops out completely if LR republished the photo to flickr.
    Has anyone else noticed this or have I got an incorrect setting somewhere.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using it for flickr, haven't tried republishing after i've posted somewhere though.

I assume their "republishing" is really deleting, and then re-submitting - giving it a new id number or whatever, not 100% sure on that though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use it to publish to flickr and yes it does break the link if you republish an edit.
    so far I haven't found a way around it.
    Cheers
    Jo

Canon 7D user on P Plates

CC is encouraged: No need to be gentle
    Don't be offended by my CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here.
    Michaela

Comments and critique always welcome and appreciated.

My photos on Flickr
    Canon 5D Mk III | 7D | Assorted Canon Lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silkdiver View Post
    I use it to publish to flickr and yes it does break the link if you republish an edit.
    so far I haven't found a way around it.
    I have just discovered it broke every link in the set (52/2011) even though I only did an edit on 1 photo

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be the way Flickr accepts the photos. It is similar with Facebook publish, but it gives you a warning to say that all comments will be lost.

I use SmugMug for my hosting and it does NOT break the links but it does replace the original photo!. The photos are all kept by SmugMug and they automatically add a -1 or -2 etc to the photos as you upload modifications. The latest version is the only one visible on SM, but I can still link to the others if I want to.

Look here for a test example of three images edited and republished using LR3.

It appeared to work for a few minutes, but then all the images ended up the same after refreshing them a time later. What this does mean is that you could post a photo for CC, have people comment, and off you go to LR, make some changes and republish and the original post on AP will be changed, therefore possible making the thread loose context.

Best to make a virtual copy in LR, and upload that and post that photo to AP if you want to show multiple versions of the same photo. At least the link doesn't break though.
    Last edited by etherial; 23-01-2011 at 3:33pm. Reason: Everything turned on its head!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent SmugMug an email to find out how their system works. This was their reply which clears up how SM handles republishing. Hope this helps (SmugMug users anyway!):

Hi Michael,
    Thank you for contacting SmugMug.
    When you republish the modified photo from LR, you're replacing the the image we have. So it won't break the links, the image will still be seen as the same file on our end, the same link, you're just replacing it.
    You may have seen previous versions of the image if they were cached, but they'll eventually all be the most recently published photo.
    We add the -1 -2 -3 to the end of the newer links to force the browsers to bypass the cache. So the link won't break, some users won't see the new image immediately if that ending isn't updated.
    Your gallery will always use the most recent file, but where you've pasted links on other sites it may take some time to catch up.
    If you did want to have different versions, you would want to upload as a new file instead of republishing.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

Take care,
    Wendee
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/