Thread: epson v700 troubles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

epson v700 troubles

Having trouble trying to figure out how to simply scan film in epson v700.
    I read the manual thats online and it shows that film should be able to be selected, but it doesnt show in the software itself.

here is the home mode, there is no way to select colour negative film like it shows in the manual

in professional mode, film shows up, but it is faded and cannot be selected

I have the neg holder in place, in the holes, even the auto mode which is ment to detect colour 35mm film only sees it as a 'colour picture'.
    Its probably something simple (?) but i cannot figure out whats going on here.

If anyone has this scanner and knows a way to select film, any help would be appreciated.
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure Fabian, when I installed the software for my V500, all went perfectly and was able to choose Film, colour or Black and White ??

Maybe try to uninstall and re=install the software

Just had a look see and In home mode I can select the different film types as well.

I don't recall anything special when installing the software, I just ran the disk and all went as expected.

Have you re-started your system since the install ?
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing itsnit recognizing the neg holder is attached, I reattach and retry
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plug lid into the back of the scanner duh!

thanks for the replies. I knew it would be something so obvious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh, yes of course, I remember now having to attach that cable on mine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on you purchase!

First of all it doesnt matter whether you use film holder or not scanner doesn not detect what film holder you use or use it at all.
    My advice is to forget about clumsy Epson's sostware and download the VueScan - you will see dramatic difference in quality (sharper prints) plus VueScan's ICE technology is way better in my opinion - it does not fractalize (read make all image look way too digital) your scans but only takes away all the scratch and dusts at the bits of the image where they are actually located.

Secondly, google "Better scanning holders" go to their web site and purchase holder for you scanner with anti-newtone rings glass, you can go with medium format holder with which you can also scan strips of 35mm film. That will help you to scan curly film as well as increase quality of you scans by 15-20%!

Seriously - do some reading on the subject of scanning software and custom holders - push your scanner up to its max quality - and please do not hesistitate to listen to my advice - i swear to you it is a valuable one

Also what i say is available on web and have been discussed among pros - and that what people do, of course if they dont use Imacons

Good Luck with your scanning!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree Max,
    The Epson film holder does in fact have a series of small holes in the rear area that do in fact tell the scanner which film holder is in use. These holes allow a pattern of light through that is "read" by the scanner before it scans the film, cover the hole with a neg that is too long, particularly 120 and the scanner won't scan.

I will have to investigate VueScan though, sounds interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Than i am wrong ) But i have never noticed that when i used to own V700 i had to choose type of film and its format (6x6, 6x4.5 etc.) from the configuration menu down the bottom..... Have done a bit of reading i guess i had Auto frame detetc function always off so every time i scanned different film i would let the scanner know - never had a problem.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As well as the above you should have it on film not reflective, reflective is something that is printed on some sort of paper, film is either just that or transparency, see through.
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ U took the words out of my head Margaret.
    Fabien. It's been ages since I started mine up, but Transparency is where you start. That sends the light source to the lid, where it then passes through your mounted transparencies. After that prepare to drive a truck. If you leave that resolution setting you'll sure get a big file per transparency. Other things to consider are bit depth (24 or 48) and what image type to save it as.
    Anyway, start with transparency and mabye just 24-bit. Also, consider trying a lower resolution at first. The 12800 dpi will end up giving you an image 19200 pixels across and a file of some 700 MB. For 35mm stuff I'd go about 3200 dpi max for the full frame.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.