User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: How much is too much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much is too much?

At the risk of sounding paranoid - I wanted to know if the following pics demonstrate a normal level of dust and grime one could expect to find inside the lens elements.

This lens is just under one year old. I have seen the articles that show example photos using a lens with a smashed front element, demonstrating only slight contrast loss - so some dust shouldn't be a biggie, right?

Also, these were taken using an LED light, which does tend to exaggerate and show up EVERYTHING.
    I am more concerned about the hazy looking grot in the second photo.

Do you think this could be attributing to a lack of contrast or increased flare ?

Here is an example of the a scene shot with the lens in question- compared to my 25+ year old Nikkor 105 2.5 AI which shows noticably better colour and contrast. No PP applied to both pics and identical exposure settings.

Nikon D750
    Olympus m/43
    Rolleicord IV

My SmugMug

Amor fati!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gee... those looks great. the first looks like a vast starfield and the second like a swirling galaxy.

obviously not effecting the photo too much tho i guess but i'd have it cleaned... different lenses and different settings will always produce different results

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that looks really dirty. is it inside?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - I got some of the hazy stuff off that was on the outside of the front element - I don't usually clean my front element aside from a very light brush or spray of compressed air, as I'd rather have a bit of dust sitting there then scratches. So I gave it a gently rub and some of that grime came off but all that dust is still inside.