User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: iphone4/itunes help (multiple phones)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iphone4/itunes help (multiple phones)

Can anyone please tell me how to set it so the phones dont keep altering each others settings? i set up my email account on my iphone just got and after checking trevs phone after a sync he had all my email details in his email?

When i set up the phone as a new phone I also ended up with all his contacts which i didnt need?
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what version of itunes. This was fixed in a recent iTunes update, allowing multiple iPhone/iPad/iPod to sync to the one version of iTunes. However it may not have been for more than one of each. IE a user could sync a single iPhone/ iPad / iPod, but not 2 iPhones, 2 iPods (not sure cause I haven't used iTunes that way).
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its the new version of itunes - only dowqnloaded last wednesday when trev got his phone ...

Edited: its picking up they are different devices but yeah the syncings weird :/
    Last edited by Miaow; 18-01-2011 at 2:28pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. Maybe you can't sync more than one iPhone to the same iTunes still. When the iPad first came out, you could not sync it without it taking all the iPhone apps and adding them. So they brought out a release to make each device separate, but maybe not 2 of the same device.

Google suggests that you have two user accounts on the PC, you each sign in as your own user, and setup your own stuff in iTunes and that apparently works. If you are not using user accounts on your PC, then from what i can see it will be an issue. So maybe you need to set up two users 'Cat' and Trev' and log in and out as needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Rick said above, ie- create two accounts on the one computer. Can create some pain, but not more than you're currently experiencing.

On a Mac, it's very easy to switch between the two accounts, although I wouldn't recommend trying to do i with Safari or iTunes open at the same time.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    question though - wont i then have to set up both phones again or will it just sorta keep it more seperate?

Thanks for that may have to do it to keep it all sperate - the last sync seems to have been ok on my phone ie i didnt get trevs contacts and the last sync on his he didnt get mine but not sure mine were in there at the time casue i was still setting them up on the phone..

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the 2 users was was a bit of a weird thing - its dfone the backup of trevs phone so hoping that means now its all seperate on there - apps arent on there though but at least they didnt get taken off the phone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the problem you will encounter with your apps is that are bought with a license for 1 phone. So when you set up your second user account, they will not transfer over and will need to be 're-bought', but in effect (if I read your comments above correctly) you are 'sharing the apps over 2 phones. This would not be as Apple, et al, would see how they are to be used.
    Hope this makes sense, bottom line, think of it like a divorce and you now need to separate your 'lives' completely and manage them individually. ;-)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm living that pain at the moment. All our music etc and iTunes account was under my user account so when the wife and I got our phones I just loaded them all up under my user account to bring in music and apps under my iTunes account.
    When we tried to sync or back up the phones it tried to combine our calanders and contacts.
    I went through the pain of creating a separate iTunes on her account moved all the music to a shared user folder on the mac and now our calendars and contacts are backed up under the separate user accounts.
    This involved apple talking me through it an wiping 30% of her contacts and calendar by mistake while the applesupport bloke had no idea what was happening. Never mind divorcing iPhones, that nearly caused the real thing.
    I still can't add any music to her phone and I think if I try and resync it to her iTunes I will lose all her apps, and I'm not brave enough to start.
    My advise is do it early before there is too muchstuff on the phones and relocate all the music and media files to the shared users profile.
    Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To help counteract Wolfmans music issues above, I store all of my music on a separate drive, in a 'non-iTunes' folder, and then 'dump' the whole folder into the window, which is now continually managed through iTunes. When I created my wife's account, I again 'dumped' the folder into her iTunes window to populate 'her' version. She then made her own specific playlists for each of her machines (iPod & iPad), which she manages, without interfereing with the master file. Note, none of my music has been bought through iTunes, so I don't have any of the proprietry licensing problems. There are ways around it though if you have bought music from iTunes that you want across both accounts. Burn to disc, then rip back out to iTunes.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thre apps were mainly free aps - all seems ok now - though had a lot of network probs earlier on my new phone not sure if it was related to the whole sync problem issue :/

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junqbox View Post
    To help counteract Wolfmans music issues above, I store all of my music on a separate drive, in a 'non-iTunes' folder, and then 'dump' the whole folder into the window, which is now continually managed through iTunes. When I created my wife's account, I again 'dumped' the folder into her iTunes window to populate 'her' version. She then made her own specific playlists for each of her machines (iPod & iPad), which she manages, without interfereing with the master file. Note, none of my music has been bought through iTunes, so I don't have any of the proprietry licensing problems. There are ways around it though if you have bought music from iTunes that you want across both accounts. Burn to disc, then rip back out to iTunes.
    I think they have relaxed that licensing stuff now and you can certainly share iTunes libraries between separate machines, but multiple users on the same machine seems to throw a spanner in the works. The separate drive would work well, but my machine is a laptop which roams the house. That's essentially the same thing I ended up doing but used the shared users folder.
    I'm guessing they are trying to encourage us to all have our own computers...